What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avare ADSB in

I used that for awhile before I installed a avionic echo. The y cable never worked and the radio ran of the tablet battery. It worked fine for about 3 hours on a nexus 7.

I use what's called a stratux; it's a DIY solution but there are vendors who sell them complete: http://stratux.me/ I've seen them go used on here for $80-120(which is how I got mine), you can buy them new complete around $220, or build new yourself around $120.

Connects to tablet via wifi, I have mine hardwired for power via a usb port on my panel and mounted on the baggage window of my tip-up -7. I have no complaints.

thanks

thanks for the info. Will just do the kit built stratux. odens_14 I'm assuming I dont need the battery pack if I can provide power via my usb ports?

Just this week I tried the Nano 3 SDR with Avare running on a Samsung Tab A and was rather surprised it actually worked. So far, I've only played with it on the ground with the free version of the app, but saw plenty of 1090ES flights. I do intend to spend the few bucks for the Pro version of the app.

The right angle USB to USB-C adapter (not the Right angle OTG pictured) didn't work, but the other cables did. I've not yet contacted the vendor to see if they can just send a new right angle adapter.

Even with the Y-Adapter OTG cable, the battery does run down. I don't know if it'd last the 3 hours dougmattson mentioned for his Nexus 7.

I found it worth the price for something to play around with, but don't have enough use with it to know if it'd be a good solution for ADS-B in.

Regards,
Rob

thanks for the info. Will just do the kit built stratux. odens_14 I'm assuming I dont need the battery pack if I can provide power via my usb ports?

correct, don't need the battery pack if powered from panel. I've used my cell charger for programming/testing at home too.

I do. The OTG charger splitters are typically 500mah max if Micro USB.

If USB C, with a $15 hub, you get full amps to charge while also flowing the ADSB-IN.

So, my S9 USB C works and charges, my 2019 7" TabA SM-T290 does not charge.

Stratux- most offer an external USB battery you can "pass through charge" use and charge at the same time. Or, I think a 2.4 amp USB port will run it.

The USB SDRs are only 1 sided- 978 or 1090- Stratux is dual SDR and gives both local 1090 traffic and 978 Traffic and FIS-B weather/info.

thanks

Lots of good info thanks to all that replied. Will do the stratux, to keep it simple for the tech-no challenged!

Last edited:
Stratux- most offer an external USB battery you can "pass through charge" use and charge at the same time. Or, I think a 2.4 amp USB port will run it.

The Stratux will run happily off of a 2A charger. Mine has dual SDR's, AHRS, internal GPS antenna, and an OLED screen and works great with my charger marked at 2A max. No battery needed.

That said: Try to find a charger with two outputs, and 4A total shared between them. That way you'll be able to power both your Stratux and your Tablet from one cigarette-lighter port.

The Stratux is a power hog, and works very well with Avare. You need at least the 2amp USB adapter. Having the battery is a good backup, the flat pack batteries are pretty cheap.

The receivers can get VERY hot. A case with built-in fan will exhaust much of the heat.

https://www.amazon.com/Stratux-Case-Fan-White-ABS/dp/B072ND582W/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1BMAD069IAG0C&dchild=1&keywords=stratux+case+with+fan&qid=1592590746&sprefix=stratux+case%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-3

71jld%2Bx4e6L._AC_UL115_.jpg

Staggerwing

Thanks again all I got the stratux parts all loaded up on my Amazon cart.
Fasglas did your SW come out of DVT? If it did I worked on it a bunch when based at FFZ.

Back