- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-23-2021, 01:39 AM

Default EXP119 Exhaust

The Vans EXP119 Crossover exhaust has a 6 month lead time at the moment. Vetterman can supply an exhaust for the EXP119, but is not a crossover design ... ie Cylinders 1 & 3 exit right side, 2 & 4 left side.
Vans undoubtedly put a lot of effort into designing the the EXP119 crossover installation for good reasons.
Has anyone installed the Vetterman solution for the EXP119, or got knowledge of the pros/cons.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:25 AM

Default EXP-119 Exhaust

Steve,

Not be discouraging, but in my recent experience, the EXP-119 exhaust has a ten month lead time. A word of caution- the heater muff may interfere with your throttle arm forward throw. I discovered this while making airplane noises safely in my hangar, versus in flight, thank goodness. I double wrapped safety wire at each end of the heater muff to prevent it from creeping.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:58 PM

If you dig thru Kitplanes you'll find an article on the types of exhaust and rankings from best to worst.
I believe you are asking about the Vetterman equal length 4 into 4 vs a X-over. Performance gained or lost is almost nil between the 2. Disadvantage of the 4 into 4 is muffs for heat/carb.
4:1 is the best for HP but we are not talking huge gains unless you are going to the ultimate degree of cold air induction, etc.

Starduster SS101
Tailwind

"Let us endeavor to live so that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain
Donated '21