Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2021, 04:39 PM

I have fogging regularly on (moderately) cold days 5-25F with sun, simple breathing in the cockpit causes it and with me alone. It will happen in a few minutes as I never installed a de-fog fan. I have to tip-up the canopy with the engine running to take off.

The 4 small fans look attractive for this purpose.

RV-7
Old 11-01-2021, 11:51 PM

Bill,. I find that any condensation on the interior of the canopy is gone seconds after launch, even in the rain. Just the taxi and runup needs de-fog. I also feel they would help cool the radios as they get real warm on a summer day. Would 4 fans help move out the air under the panel enough to help? I am a little worried about drilling up from below with a big hole saw, though.
Been a real soaker around here lately. The -7 is nice and dry in the hangar but found a dead mouse inside today. Probably almost drowned outside and crawled inside and expired.
Old 11-02-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
I have fogging regularly on (moderately) cold days 5-25F with sun, simple breathing in the cockpit causes it and with me alone. It will happen in a few minutes as I never installed a de-fog fan. I have to tip-up the canopy with the engine running to take off.

The 4 small fans look attractive for this purpose.
I have experienced this in the 6 many times. The 10 has a big fan on the dash and have never experienced it on that plane at least to any meaningful degree. I believe the fan is pushing around my moisture laden, exhaled air and not allowing much of it to reach the windshield and condense.
Old 11-02-2021, 09:21 AM

Default Portable Defoggers?

Has anybody tried one of those portable defoggers you plug into cigarette lighter type power? I get fog on the inside of my windshield sometimes in the morning and during taxi for takeoff at my airport you face the rising sun. It makes it very hard to see.

Pink slip issued: 5/7/12

First flight: 5/28/12, Memorial Day.

Phase I Complete: 8/18/12!
Old 11-02-2021, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the info. I sorta dislike that there's no "always on" vent for the avionics bay. Will have to think on this more.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:25 PM

A couple of comments:

This mod would be more difficult after the canopy "glass" is installed, but with a little ingenuity it should be possible. All my wiring is accessible. Just a matter of protecting the clear stuff while you're working. Blue tape and paper (maybe a thin sheet of something hard) are your friend. If you don't like the idea of drilling with a big hole saw (nor do I), use a Greenlee punch (perfect holes and no burrs to speak of). They require only a small pilot hole to get started.

And regarding the Defog/Defrost effectiveness. My earlier point was that it does a good job of moving heated air around in flight. Personally, I've never seen any condensation on the glass, but the plane is only a few months old, and this is not an all weather plane. They do move a lot of air, and my system is turned down to about half speed (at max it sounds like you're getting ready to levitate away!). So if you needed more, turn 'em up. Pretty much run mine full time.

In the end, opening the canopy might be enough to clear things up, and it's probably prudent not to go flying before your canopy has warmed a little to help prevent any unexpected IFR. I do think the fans help with more uniform warming. This system is all most useful after your heater is transfering some BTU's and sending them to your feet.

Hope this helps ...

Cheers

First Flight 7/17/2021!!
- Been there, Donated 2021
Old 11-02-2021, 04:41 PM

I used to get moderate fogging on my 7 in winter with no fans.
It would sometimes require a cloth to remove if it didn't clear up by takeoff time.
Heres my solution for the RV10. Shamelessly stolen from a local builder here.
It took a few iterations on the duct but it worked out ok on the 3rd go.

An axial fan with a 3D printed duct to take it to a slim auto style diffuser close to the windscreen base.
I didn't like the idea of big holes there. I also but a doubler around the slot for the diffuser. The slot is about 0.5" x 5"

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3479.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	17807

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3478.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	17808
Sydney, AUS
Old 11-02-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcalvert View Post
A couple of comments:

This mod would be more difficult after the canopy "glass" is installed, but with a little ingenuity it should be possible. All my wiring is accessible. Just a matter of protecting the clear stuff while you're working. Blue tape and paper (maybe a thin sheet of something hard) are your friend. If you don't like the idea of drilling with a big hole saw (nor do I), use a Greenlee punch (perfect holes and no burrs to speak of). They require only a small pilot hole to get started.
Might be able to protect it with this. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...lexiglass1.php