What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming Oil Filter Adapter for RV-4

RV4er

Well Known Member
Does any know if a Lycoming oil filter adapter will fit a conical mount RV-4?

I was concerned with mount and firewall clearance.

Engine is O-320-A2B.

Thanks,

You Betcha..

I ran a Lycoming adapter on my Narrow Deck 0-320 (dash nothing) for 10 years and 2 more with a wide deck 0-320 using many different brand filters. Plenty of clearance.
Make yourself an oil change helper by cutting a used oil container lengthwise so it fits under the filter when you remove it. Less mess...

Rob ray

Reviving an old thread

I acquired an RV4 kit with a Lycoming O-320 A3B conical mount engine.
It has an air wolf remote oil filter adapter but I would rather have a basic spin on adapter.
The conical engine mount won’t allow an angle adapter but a straight mount should work. I think.
There is about 9 1/2 inches or so between the pad and firewall and I was just hoping that someone could verify that the Donaldson adapter or Lycoming straight adapter will work without a mod to the firewall and still have room for the filter to go on and off.
I know someone has been there before me……
Thanks

oil filter adapter

Steve,

I have a straight adapter on my engine and have the conical mount on my RV-3: engine mount to firewall = 9 1/4"

from the end of the filter to back of the mount on the engine: 12".

I will have to get my engine from the build shop and put it on the mount to be sure.

filter clearance / tolerance

If you have a recessed area on your firewall it will help, I have a fuel tank in the way. You know the square footage on a -3 and there is limited area to put a remote filter mount.

I am looking forward to having my engine in place to see what I will do.

We may need to swap remote for engine mounted filter systems.

Back