What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CFII to CFII discussion

fbrewer

Well Known Member
I'm looking for a CFII with RV-9/9A time to discuss stall characteristics

Please feel free to private message me and I will provide contact info.

Thanks

Frank

I suspect, since I used CFII in the post, that is why you asked about in IMC.

A CFI contact with experience in RV-9/9A stalls would also be great.

You don't need a CFI to discuss that - you just need a pilot/owner willing to take you up and let you play with it. Come out here to west Texas and I'll give you a ride.

You don't need a CFI to discuss that - you just need a pilot/owner willing to take you up and let you play with it. Come out here to west Texas and I'll give you a ride.

Exactly where I was going. I'm a CFII but didn't see why he was asking for one when what he needs is an experienced RV9 VFR pilot to do actual stalls in it.

I suspect, since I used CFII in the post, that is why you asked about in IMC.

A CFI contact with experience in RV-9/9A stalls would also be great.

Yep. I would take up Greg on his offer. He owns one and has lots of experience in it. He also flies it in crappy weather so he can show you how it handles there too :)

I'm looking for a CFII with RV-9/9A time to discuss stall characteristics

Please feel free to private message me and I will provide contact info.

Thanks

Frank

That's me, and I've done a bunch of low speed handling qualities evaluations. PM sent.

stalls

My 9A is about the most benign stalling airplane I have flown and I have flown many, No dramatic wing drop. That Roncz airfoil is magic. CFII, ASEL, ASMEL,
Ed

Slip Stall and Impossible Turn

Regarding benign stalling characteristics, I would concur.

I had a chance to do a few full slip turning stalls (outside rudder) and the RV-9 has a very distinct break in the stall, with an immediate recovery with just the slightest easing forward from the stick.

Additionally, we were able to practice the "Impossible Turn" with a simulated loss of motor at 400' AGL. We were able to bank 60 degrees and turn 45 degrees away. Followed by a turn reversal of 225 degrees back to the runway, all the while never getting less than 80 knots in the turn.

This was with 3/4 fuel and two occupants (135 lbs and 180 lbs). We actually were a little high on the turn back, but could have easily landed if needed.

The RV-9 wing is amazing.

Frank,
If that was 22C that you were exploring, all of what you describe I LONG ago fully explored in every config you can imagine, and probably some that you wouldn't think of, before I dared put the inexperienced pilot in it. Including the "impossible turn" (only in certain conditions). At least that particular airframe is a puppy dog in every way.
It kinda' laughs at you if it thinks you are trying to spin it!

Scott,

I concur with your observations regarding the RV-9.

It is a truly great wing with no unexpected actions or reactions to an expanded flight envelope.

Mine actually has a pretty good wind dip to the right when stalling with full flaps. I guess that's why you test it.

Back