What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6A landing gear mount (WD-626) question

0302lj

OH SO CLOSE on installing the wings...

"landing gear installing" drawing 59 show both AN4 and AN3 bolts...specifically AN3's are used across the top to attach the landing gear mount to the spar, while 4 AN4's are called out for the bottom brace attachment to spar, EXCEPT for two AN3's (outer part).

1. assuming the two AN3's are used so there/s clearance for the 4 nuts that face inward from the sides of the fuselage?

more important....
2. Finding the AN3 gear mount predrilled holes do NOT always align with the mating spar pre-drilled holes (there's like3 that don't). Anything wrong with drilling & reaming those AN3 to AN4 sizes?

Accurate assessment?? Open to ideas leg mount.jpg

Jerry

Drilling out a spar bolt to AN4??? I don't think so.
I had this issue on a couple of holes in my gear mount (quick built no less).

solution:
  1. weld up the holes in the gear mount
  2. obtain a tube that slips into the AN3 spar (3/16") hole, and has an ID suitable for a slightly smaller drill bit
  3. with the smaller drill in a 90 degree drill, drill a pilot hole thru (hence not reaming out the spar)
  4. drill to final size

Last edited:
Weldment holes

Contact Vans to get the official direction.
They were explicit avout not touching the carry through spar with anything amd also no reaming of the weldment holes to increase dimension for clearance. However, the option with mine, after discussing with Vans, was to file the weldment to remove the interference. It took a lot of installing, looking with a borescope, removeing, filing, reinstalling and trial fitting a test bolt. It was only a few thousandths on one side of a hole but took forever to get a perfect fit.

Back