What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Insurance?

Avemco solicits me every year when my insurance is due. So, I expect they consider RV's are worth chasing after.....

For the record, I have used Gallagher for over 20 years.

Last edited:
The Gallagher folks are great…we have used Skysmith for many years, also with great experiences.

Avemco solicits me every year when my insurance is due. So, I expect they consider RV's are worth chasing after.....

Strictly speaking, Avemco is an insurance company, not an independent broker. Avemco is the only company with in-house agents; everyone else uses independent brokers. So, to be complete, you need an independent broker, plus a call to Avemco. But for quite a few years Avemco has been non-competitive with other companies for RV’s, with the possible exception of those who seem to be uninsurable. But they may send you a nice cap.

An independent broker works for you. I suggest you call them (there aren’t that many) and just have a chat. You need someone you feel comfortable working with.

For the record, I use Gallagher.

Falcon

EAA's insurance program is run by Falcon. I left another broker for Falcon due to poor service years ago. Falcon has been good to work with.

My policy through Falcon includes an EAA member endorsement that, among other things, gives me first right to buy salvage if my plane is totaled.

EAA's insurance program is run by Falcon. I left another broker for Falcon due to poor service years ago. Falcon has been good to work with.

My policy through Falcon includes an EAA member endorsement that, among other things, gives me first right to buy salvage if my plane is totaled.

I go through Falcon as well.

grass airfield

The only insurance company my broker can find to insure me on my own grass strip and hangar is AIG. The rest of them want me to be at a public airport.

I've been with Falcon for many years. Global, with EAA riders, is the actual underwriter.
Falcon is also the broker for my hangar insurance.

I got a quote from Gallagher already, they seem quite reasonable except they want my CFI to have 25 hours in make and model in order to provide me my checkout. I have two local CFI’s with tons of tailwheel time, and one of them owns an F1 Rocket. But, according to the insurance company, he needs RV-7 time……

I got a quote from Gallagher already, they seem quite reasonable except they want my CFI to have 25 hours in make and model in order to provide me my checkout. I have two local CFI’s with tons of tailwheel time, and one of them owns an F1 Rocket. But, according to the insurance company, he needs RV-7 time……

Remember that technically, you don’t get a quote “from” Gallagher, you get one (or hopefully several) “through” Gallagher. Gallagher is a broker, not an underwriter, so they should (and do!) shop the market and give you several quotes. They work for you!

Call Gallagher back, find out if these requirements are negotiable (sometimes they are). If not, Mike Seager (spelling) in OR is pretty close to you.

Call Gallagher back, find out if these requirements are negotiable (sometimes they are). If not, Mike Seager (spelling) in OR is pretty close to you.

The agent said that possibly RV-6 or RV-9 experience could be used as a substitute for RV-7, but nothing else. Already called Mike Seager, he is booked until August.

The requirement for a transition CFI with 25 hours in -6, -7, or -9 is pretty common with those companies that insure RV's (notably AIG and Global). In my case, my CFI used to own an RV-6A so I lucked out - the underwriters at AIG and later Global agreed to his experience in the RV-6A that he owned at one time. Your task is probably made more difficult by the fact that you need a tailwheel-RV pilot.

Did you post in the classified section here, or make a "Need Transition Training" post? I gotta believe that there a lot of side-by-side RV pilots in your neck of the woods.

Last edited:
I'm with Global Aerospace Inc. through Falcon and the rates and coverages are satisfactory, Falcon has been fine to work with, but to be fair I've not had to deal with either in a claim process.

I have been with Skysmith since day one (over 15 years) and have been happy with them.

Insurance

Falcon has worked well for me on my last three owned aircraft,
an RV6, PA-28-180, and an RV6A in that order, the real surprise this year is the rate went down $270, it is the second year of owning the 6A.

The requirement for a transition CFI with 25 hours in -6, -7, or -9 is pretty common with those companies that insure RV's (notably AIG and Global).

It's been a while and things change, but in 2016 when I established insurance for my first flight, Old Republic only wanted 5 hours for transition, and they accepted RV-10 time with Alex DeDominicis in Dallas.

Back