What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Updates

flyboy143

I am doing my first Garmin Panel updates after my first flight. . I am very surprised of the costs. Am I doing something wrong? I have (2) G3X and a GTX 375.

The cost of the G3X updates are $150 and the cost of the annual GTX 375 is $500

Should have bought Dynon.

As I understand it, Garmin VFR updates are free.
IFR updates are $150 for the G3x and $299 for the 650.

Now lets see if Dynon gives you a better deal.
BTW, DB for the GRT has always been free.

Look further down the Garmin database cost page, past all the bundles.

You can buy a US Navigation subscription for the GNX 375 for $299 a year. That option is further down the page on the Garmin database pricing page. You don't need the $499 "bundle" and I personally think that if you have a G3X, things like safe taxi, obstacles etc. are not useful on the smallish GNX 375 screen.

If you want to fly IFR with a GPS navigator, you need to buy the databases no matter who's gear you have.

As Bavafa said, you can now get free VFR databases for the G3X. The IFR "bundle" does cost $149/yr, but to me that is a reasonable cost. If you just want IFR/VFR charts, that is $99.

Dynon doesn't make an IFR GPS navigator like the GNX 375.

I have the same system you do. I definitely believe I made the right choice...for me.

Last edited:
I know they updated the pricing recently, but 500-700 sounds close to what we've been paying for the ifr package on the g3x/375 combo.

Avidyne makes a certified navigator, 2 years ago it was $860 for the jeppeson multiscreen databases for it. The single screen a la carte option was just under 500.

Agree with Mile High Relic, the nav database subscription for the 375 is a reasonable deal for IFR databases, I use the Aera 760 to display the 375 info and for safetaxi etc and its bundle cost is pretty reasonable.
Not sure you actually need current nav data in the 375 to legally fly IFR as long as you have current data in something (Foreflight etc.) at least that was the result of the discussion during my recent IFR checkride. You could just buy a single update when needed.
It does all add up though when you add foreflight etc. into the calculation for annual costs.
Figs

Database Options

I am doing my first Garmin Panel updates after my first flight. . I am very surprised of the costs. Am I doing something wrong? I have (2) G3X and a GTX 375.

The cost of the G3X updates are $150 and the cost of the annual GTX 375 is $500

Should have bought Dynon.

There are 3 database packages available for your G3X Touch, none of these are required at the aircraft level for IFR operations:

• $0.00 - US VFR Navigation Data, Terrain, and Obstacles databases
  • $49.99 - US VFR Navigation Data, Terrain, Obstacles, Airport Directory, IFR/VFR Charts and SafeTaxi
  • $149.95 -Garmin Navigation Data, Obstacles, SafeTaxi, Airport Directory, FliteCharts, IFR/VFR Charts, and Terrain

Your External IFR Navigator has different requirements. The Navigation database in the GNX 375 must be current for IFR operations. You can choose to update that database only, for $299.00 a year, or update all of the databases (Navigation, Obstacles, SafeTaxi, and Terrain) in the unit for $499.00 a year.

Thanks,

Justin

It's great that you USA based guys get these:

• $49.99 - US VFR Navigation Data, Terrain, Obstacles, Airport Directory, IFR/VFR Charts and SafeTaxi
  • $149.95 -Garmin Navigation Data, Obstacles, SafeTaxi, Airport Directory, FliteCharts, IFR/VFR Charts, and Terrain

@G3XPERT are there any plans for those of us in the UK/Europe to get a similar deal at any time? The Europe equivalent of the $49.95 pack is £530 ($458) which is a pretty hefty difference for what is a smaller geographical area, the equivalent to the $149.95 pack is a whopping £1,015 ($1265).

Looking for to the response ;)

It's great that you USA based guys get these:

@G3XPERT are there any plans for those of us in the UK/Europe to get a similar deal at any time? The Europe equivalent of the $49.95 pack is £530 ($458) which is a pretty hefty difference for what is a smaller geographical area, the equivalent to the $149.95 pack is a whopping £1,015 ($1265).

Looking for to the response ;)
Volume is not the only factor; cost of obtain the data and how many are sold likely have a larger impact on pricing.

[*]$49.99 - US VFR Navigation Data, Terrain, Obstacles, Airport Directory, IFR/VFR Charts and SafeTaxi

[*]$149.95 -Garmin Navigation Data, Terrain, Obstacles, Airport Directory, IFR/VFR Charts, SafeTaxi and FliteCharts.

Thanks,

Justin

I rearranged the descriptions above to make them it easier to compare/contrast. The costs are what they are. I do think marketing terms are a bad idea though, and the Garmin site needs better descriptions of what is in each database.

I'm pretty sure that "FliteCharts" is Garmin-speak for approach plates. I think most people would say approach plates actually fall under the broad heading of IFR/VFR Charts, but I get it. If you want approach plates to display on your G3X Touch, you need "FliteCharts." Jepp has their own marketing name for plates...ChartView

"SafeTaxi" seems to be Garmin-speak for airport diagrams.

But can someone explain or point me to a site that describes the specific differences between "Garmin Navigation Data" and "US VFR Navigation Data?"

Is it GPS approach waypoints? Intersections? I've failed in my efforts to find this information.

Volume is not the only factor; cost of obtain the data and how many are sold likely have a larger impact on pricing.

Yes that's true to a degree but a smaller area has less data to obtain, not only that but also having lower cost mapping would generate more people selecting Garmin over Dynon for example, and thus a greater market share of people with Garmin hardware which in turn sells more map updates. When something is circa 8 times the equivalent cost compared the USA one can't help but think it's a tad unfair. A difference in cost can be justified on the grounds you mention but 8X ????:eek:

Yes that's true to a degree but a smaller area has less data to obtain, not only that but also having lower cost mapping would generate more people selecting Garmin over Dynon for example, and thus a greater market share of people with Garmin hardware which in turn sells more map updates. When something is circa 8 times the equivalent cost compared the USA one can't help but think it's a tad unfair. A difference in cost can be justified on the grounds you mention but 8X ????:eek:

My understanding is that the United States government offers the data for free, while most other countries charge a good amount for access. So you are paying for the data, along with the complexity to convert the data into Garmin-readable format.

VFR Navigation Data

I rearranged the descriptions above to make them it easier to compare/contrast. The costs are what they are. I do think marketing terms are a bad idea though, and the Garmin site needs better descriptions of what is in each database.

I'm pretty sure that "FliteCharts" is Garmin-speak for approach plates. I think most people would say approach plates actually fall under the broad heading of IFR/VFR Charts, but I get it. If you want approach plates to display on your G3X Touch, you need "FliteCharts." Jepp has their own marketing name for plates...ChartView

"SafeTaxi" seems to be Garmin-speak for airport diagrams.

But can someone explain or point me to a site that describes the specific differences between "Garmin Navigation Data" and "US VFR Navigation Data?"

Is it GPS approach waypoints? Intersections? I've failed in my efforts to find this information.

Good question! This VFR version of the Navigation Database is very similar to the regular United States Navigation Database but because the G3X Touch has no ability to navigate approach procedures, it does not contain approach data. This allows us to avoid passing the cost of that data on to users who do not have the ability to use it.

You are correct on all the other points. The user manual for the system contains a detailed description of each database the system will consume. It starts on page 406 of rev. U.

Thanks,

Justin

Very small nitpick

If you want to fly IFR with a GPS navigator, you need to buy the databases no matter who's gear you have.

One little wrinkle -- the AFM for my 430W allows me to fly enroute IFR by GPS if I have current data OR if I verify the waypoints I'll be using:

"GPS/SBAS based IFR enroute, oceanic, and terminal navigation is prohibited unless the flight crew verifies and uses a valid, compatible, and current navigation database or verifies each waypoint for accuracy by reference to current approved data."

The latter would be easy enough to do with a GRT box, which has free nav data available monthly. If all you need to do is pop through the occasional cloud on a familiar route, the whole regime would be easily doable and a pretty big cost savings.

GPS approaches with my 430W still require current data. Since I (very) occasionally do real-life approaches, I just bite the bullet and get the annual subscription. Garmin seems to be slightly cheaper than Jepp for that. Having used both, neither system has a particularly great user interface for downloading, and the proprietary cards are extortionately expensive and do wear out, but on the whole it works.

Other 430 AFMs may vary. Also, Garmin may well have changed this completely in the paperwork for the newer Garmin navigators -- requiring current databases for enroute and approaches.

My understanding (and I could very easily be wrong) is that strictly speaking, the gear manufacturers don't make these rules, but once the FAA signs off on an IFR installation, what's in the AFM for that installed gear becomes the regulatory rule for that box and aircraft.

Europe appears to be much better served by Dynon; €150 for Skyview with Easyvfr seems to make a compelling case to upgrade to Dynon instead of Garmin hardware, as Garmin don't seem to want to compete on database pricing in Europe.

Good question! This VFR version of the Navigation Database is very similar to the regular United States Navigation Database but because the G3X Touch has no ability to navigate approach procedures, it does not contain approach data. This allows us to avoid passing the cost of that data on to users who do not have the ability to use it.

Thanks,

Justin

I happened on a response to a 2021 thread from Longez that both clarifies and contradicts the above. Here is how I now understand it works. The $49 bundle has the VFR version of the database, and even though it includes IFR charts, it doesn't include terminal procedure charts (aka approach plates) and it doesn't have GPS data the G3X GPS can access for flight plans. The $149 bundle includes approach plates (FliteCharts) AND since it has the full Navigation database it also includes GPS approach data the G3X GPS can indeed access, but only if your TSO IFR GPS navigator fails.

Rich,

As long as you have a Garmin U.S. Navigation Database instead of a Garmin U.S. VFR Navigation Database, and the connected GPS IFR navigator is failed (not providing either MapMX RS-232 or A429 GPS Navigation data), you should be able to load and/or activate an instrument approach using Internal flight planning on your GDU 4XX G3X Touch Display.

Steve
From this thread https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=199335

Back