What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chip in Catto Prop

ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
I just recently noticed this chip on my two bladed Catto prop that I’ve had on my RV9A for 11 years. Any suggestions on a method of repair?

Attachments

• IMG_2843.jpeg
    IMG_2843.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_2844.jpeg
    IMG_2844.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 133
I would call Catto and ask what they recommend. I'm sure they have some idea about what sort of tolerance they allow.

If it's not major, I think that blending out the sharp edges and going back with epoxy filler is probably what they will suggest.

Ok as is.

Just to close on this, Catto said it’s ok as is but I could fill it with JB Weld if I wanted. I will fill it.

Catto Prop

I'd send it back to Catto and have them repair. I had a similar issue recently and decided to send it back. When they inspected the prop they found cracks beginning in the nickel leading edge. I'm glad I sent it off - its all refurbished and now like new again. Good for another 10 years.

Catto

I repaired my prop chips with jb as directed. After 10 years I spent the $ and sent it back to Catto for factory redo. While I love the prop....the factory redo didnt last a few weeks. My repair and paint jobs were better quality then theirs...lasted longer. It was expensive and unless huge issues, just do it yourself in my opinion. Expected a way better job.

Back