What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 and the Warm Westport Trip

ArlingtonRV

Well Known Member
Saturday 5/13/23 was a clear, and very warm day, so naturally it seemed like a good idea to go to the beach. Definitely not an original idea.

I ended up taking off first, so it fell to me to fly over the airport to determine the wind direction. Hoquiam (KHQM), about 7 miles to the north east was calling the wind 100 @ 8, which it had been all morning and what the MOS called for.

I passed over the runway at 2,000', which was too high to see the wind sock very well. It was pretty obviously aligned with the runway, but I couldn't tell which direction it was pointing. Based on the wind at Hoquiam, I figured it should be 12, so I entered a left downwind for 12.

On short final, my ground speed seemed higher than expected and when I looked at the wind sock, I was staring right through the back end. I was high to begin with and with the relatively short and narrow runway, trying to salvage the landing would have been a bad idea.

I called Carl on the radio and told him and since he was on downwind he did a 180 and landed on 30. I came in behind him on 30 and with the wind right down the runway it made for a pretty easy, smooth landing.

On the way home, we decided to swing by Copalis since it sounded like there were a few airplanes there. A few (I counted 5) airplanes, but gobs of cars all along the beach.

The rest of the trip home started out bumpy, but at 9,500' it was quite smooth.

All in all, it was a really fun trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzJf0Bin1WE

Back