What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AirVenture 2023 NOTAM

2,300 and 135 knot

Last year a flight of 2 - 190’s descended right in front of me and then slowed to 90 knots. The controller then called us a flight of 3 and started giving vectors. It was really confusing. To short cut the 1,800 ft conga line does it seem more are flying the higher route? Having planes drop down on one does not seem safe. My traffic alert was going nuts and not easy to see behind me. First time arrival for me, maybe next time it will be easier.

Last year a flight of 2 - 190’s descended right in front of me and then slowed to 90 knots. The controller then called us a flight of 3 and started giving vectors. It was really confusing. To short cut the 1,800 ft conga line does it seem more are flying the higher route? Having planes drop down on one does not seem safe. My traffic alert was going nuts and not easy to see behind me. First time arrival for me, maybe next time it will be easier.

I think everyone has some kind of VFR arrival story similar to yours in one way or another. Mine was a high wing I was following that slowed to way below 90 between Fisk and the RWY 27 downwind. I eventually had to bail and rejoin at RIPON. I’ve flown the IFR arrival every year since as it’s way simpler.

Easy arrival

My suggestion:
RON about an hour away from RIPON. Awake before sunrise and depart wheels up at or before sunrise. Arrive at the initial point of the RIPON procedure at or before 7:00 AM. Easy Peazy

I’ve done it this way three times after fighting the crowds numerous times. Once, I was the only one on the procedure, i.e., no one talking on the frequency ahead AND behind, from RIPON to touchdown at OSH. I’ll never plan to arrive after 9:00 AM or thereabouts again. All of this is assuming VMC, of course.

Good luck!

Moved to Places to Fly forum, should be easier to find in the future.

General discussion forum is so busy this was buried many pages back.

Last edited:
AirVenture 2023 NOTICE (paper copy) arrived today

My paper copy of the AirVenture 2023 NOTICE arrived in the mail today.

Back