What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van’s tachometer transducer

06ktrv6

I found a direct replacement for the pulse generators (transducers) that drive Van’s tachometers that are no longer available from Van’s. I just purchased one and installed it on my 6. Need part number? It’s a Steward Warner SWW-82623B
SDR Speed Hall Effect from Summit Racing for $126.99 plus tax. It’s 3 wires and
8 pulses per revolution of the transducer. Hope this helps someone.

Tommy Landrum
434-222-1194

Transducer

Thanks, I believe that was helpful and I now have one on order, as mine in intermittent and I suspect causing static on my radio.

I had a bit of a break-through on this topic. I contacted Stewart Warner and have been informed they sold the production of these units to Dakota Digital. Looking online I see the following website:

https://www.dakotadigital.com/

There is a sensor that looks the same - the SEN-01-01, however it only has two wires coming from the sender instead of three and the output is 8 pulses instead of 4.

As I recall, one of the three wires on the original units we purchased from Vans was just an earth. This SEN-01-01 must rely on the contact through the crankcase for its earth.

Might be worth a try.

I've been looking at low cost senders.
there are two major types - the two wire types and the three wire types.
The method of sensing is different. The 3 wire types use Hall sensors and output pulses...
2 wire sensors are basically a magnet moving past a coil. Not interchangable.

Key factor otherwise is pulse per rev, and whether your tach will support the ppr count it produces. For example the FLIGHT DATA SYSTEM T-30 supports a max of 6 pulses per (crank) rev. Other tachs have different settings/limits.

PPR 4 vs 8

blaplante - do you know which is used in the older Vans tach? the original post said the one he found was 8 ppr, which is what I order. You mentioned in your post the one you found was 8 ppr and you needed a 4 ppr. Wondering which one I will need for the Vans??

blaplante - do you know which is used in the older Vans tach? the original post said the one he found was 8 ppr, which is what I order. You mentioned in your post the one you found was 8 ppr and you needed a 4 ppr. Wondering which one I will need for the Vans??

I don't know which one you need. Do we know who made the Van's tach? I don't think I've even ever seen one.

I believe the orginal Vans TACHGEN was a Stewart Warner Hall Effect Sensor. As I mentioned yesterday, SW have sold the production line of these to Dakota Digital - according to their Product Engineer.

The TACHGEN was/is a 3 wire, 4 pulse per revolution Hall Effect setup. Looking at the number of posts on the forum about these units it appears they were notoriously unreliable and I have certainly had to replace my last one after just 40 hours.

The hall effect setup is very, very simple and I can't work out how they can be so unreliable. I know somebody here said they had cut one open but I'm yet to do this myself.

The vans tach is 8 pulse, the new style sending unit wouldn't work because they come with a.104 square tip for the drive . You can still find the old style that look just like the one vans sold or you have to have a cable made to go from .152 tang for the engine to the.104 square drive they sell now

Interesting you say the Vans version was 8 pulse - those I've fitted are 4 pulse and that's the number I have entered in my EIS, which is working accurately. Maybe there are two different versions out there?

As for the driveshafts - there seems to be three different versions avaialble - square drive and two diffeerent diameters of shaft with a drive lug.

you all need to be careful... simply saying "8 pulse" doesn't give enough data...

8 pulses per SENSOR rev, or 8 pulses per ENGINE rev? I think I remember that the tach drive on a Lycoming doesn't run at crank speed.

I think that's probably the best way to go, Marty. The VANSTACH were cheap but they're now difficult to find and certainly no longer cheap. Its the UMA version or the Magneto pick-up version, but I'm keen to go for a dual Surefly setup in the long term.

Back