What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel layout program

DWC7A

I remember seeing a program for laying out a panel that had most instruments sizes and shapes. I have picked out the instruments that I am going to use and the general layout, but it would be nice to have a program down the road to help with cutting the panel. If anyone could point me in that direction it would help.

Dennis Conner
Tomball Texas
RV7A 87TX (reserved)
finishing fuse

For Mac?

Has anyone used Xpanel on a Mac, perhaps with some windows emulation?

I recommend solidworks. EAA offers a license with your membership. Vans offers models of the panel and sub panel and most avionics companies offer 2D and 3D models of their equipment. It’s helpful to model not only the face of the panel, but also the space claim behind the panel.

You’ll want a digital file if you’re sending the panel out to be cut. But you may also want to print out actual size pictures, tape them to the panel, in the airframe, sit on cushions, make airplane noises. This was useful for me as I wear progressive lenses, and I found that if I wanted to go from ‘outside’ to the AI on the efis without moving my head, I needed to move the efis a bit lower. Worked well for me.

Rob, does Solidworks, have data base to build virtual panels via "drag & click"?

I recommend solidworks. EAA offers a license with your membership. Vans offers models of the panel and sub panel and most avionics companies offer 2D and 3D models of their equipment. It’s helpful to model not only the face of the panel, but also the space claim behind the panel.

Back