What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OSH - Gust lock helper

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
After reviewing previous threads on rudder damage from the OSH winds, the only mention of duct tape I saw was for emergency repair.

I’ve seen bungee cords used so why not use duct tape? Not the super sticky like Gorilla brand, but the cheap stuff that will come off when you want it to and leave the paint behind.

Use your regular gust lock and if bad weather is coming, bring out the duct tape.

Add a couple of stringers from the HS side to side and across the back of the rudder. Then roll the section of tape not attached to anything back on itself to make it round and prevent flapping in the wind.

Next day after storm, remove it.

Webb ... you could call the duct tape a "helper", but maybe not a solution. The winds last year were as big as I've seen just about anywhere, think trees down across the road kinda wind. There were a lot of desperate attempts to secure controls but most of the damage looked to me like control locks that failed or came off. Then the cringe inducing banging started :eek: So the idea of adding tape to hold a questionable system in place might help.

I used seat belts wrapped around my stick and a cord/rope tie off to hold the rudder in place (like you mention). All survived the storm (even tail into the wind!).

Just be sure to take an honest look at your setup and consider what will happen when the pounding works the system loose a bit... that's when the fun happens!

See ya

... The winds last year were as big as I've seen just about anywhere, think trees down across the road kinda wind. There were a lot of desperate attempts to secure controls but most of the damage looked to me like control locks that failed or came off. Then the cringe inducing banging started...

@Sahrens, were you at OSH using that device during the wind event described above?

If so, it held firm during those storms?

I use what Mike Seager uses on the factory demo 14A. 2 pieces of oak 2” x 0.5”thick and about 14” long and on one end there is a 5/8” half moon cutout. You place the end with cutout against the bottom horizontal tube of the rudder pedal on both pedals and jam the other ends against the foreword edge of the bulkhead under the pilot seat. If they are trimmed to the correct length they hold really well. My only concern is that any gust loads will be transmitted through the rudder control cables and could possibly wear the snap bushings during a prolonged wind event.

When I trailered my -4 from B.C. to AZ, I wrapped the rudder and elevators snugly in plastic packing wrap and a couple or three turns of duct tape. The project had a canopy that wouldn't latch and the cowl had no fasteners. Those were packing-wrapped in place with some duct tape for good measure.
80 mph en route was no issue.
Of course, it was facing into the wind the entire way...

Back