What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Logging ELT inspection/test in addition to Condition Inspection

Draker

Well Known Member
Documenting my first condition inspection (USA). I also perform the annual ELT inspection and test, which falls under part 91, during my condition inspection.

Of course my operating limitations require I write the specified condition inspection wording in my log book. Do the FAR require a separate written log for the ELT inspection/test, or is that assumed as part of the condition inspection statement?

If the ELT inspection/test must be logged, can/Should I combine these into one entry, for example "I certify that this aircraft has been inspected on [insert date] per the scope and detail of part 43, appendix D and was found to be in a condition for safe operation. Tested ELT I/A/W FAR 91.207."

I want to ensure I'm legal and develop good habits, too.

Documenting my first condition inspection (USA). I also perform the annual ELT inspection and test, which falls under part 91, during my condition inspection.

Of course my operating limitations require I write the specified condition inspection wording in my log book. Do the FAR require a separate written log for the ELT inspection/test, or is that assumed as part of the condition inspection statement?

If the ELT inspection/test must be logged, can/Should I combine these into one entry, for example "I certify that this aircraft has been inspected on [insert date] per the scope and detail of part 43, appendix D and was found to be in a condition for safe operation. Tested ELT I/A/W FAR 91.207."

I want to ensure I'm legal and develop good habits, too.

Because compliance with the ELT inspection is required and regulated by an FAR that is separate from the operating limitations requirement for the condition inspection. My opinion is that it should be noted with a separate entry.
Combining them together, as you did in your example would in my opinion be acceptable.

Separate entry here too. That way I don't have to argue with a DPE on my next checkride. :D

Last edited:
With a certified aircraft Annual Inspection I always state ELT condition as a separate item. If it passes and the battery will expire before the next annual I state that.

Separate line like your example. I also include the battery date on the entry. The ELT should have the expiration date for the battery external to the ELT, as indicated in Part 91.207 (c). You can do this with a Brother label maker, masking tape and a sharpie.. ect. Don’t forget there often is a little battery inside the remote unit in your panel, most people forget it’s there.. I believe it lasts 5 years..

Also don’t forget to have a Transponder inspection Per 91.413 done every 24 months!! I find that there at so many people that forget this one.. it’s REQUIRED for VFR flight any time you use a transponder.. not just IFR..

Don’t forget there often is a little battery inside the remote unit in your panel, most people forget it’s there.. I believe it lasts 5 years..
It might vary for other ELTs but I just replaced it for my ACK E-01 and it's 4 years for a lithium battery and 2 years for alkaline.

a condition inspection is just that, an inspection. just as an annual is just an inspection. the way I do all write ups, certificated or experimental is write ups for all work performed, ie cleaning, fixing, elt inspection, ect with a signoff for that. followed by the wording for the inspection as required by the FAA amd signed off with my name and number.

remember, if you are not the holder of the repairman cert then it must be done this way if you as the owner do all the things that go with an inspection. you cleaned the plugs, cleaned and packed the bearings ect so you sign off that work and then the A&P or repairman signs off for the inspection

bob burns

My annual CI checklist (now about 9 pages or so :) ) has a section for items like this. e.g., the line item for ELT batteries reads like:

ELT Battery ___8/24/22___ Due at ___9/24___
ELT Control Battery ___6/9/20___ Due at __7/2025___

(dates arbitrary examples)

Each of the items that requires these multi-year things has a line item (ELT, O2 tank hydro test, etc.)

Each year, the checklist gets filled out as I do the CI with checks, "N/A", "Deferred", whatever, and then into a 3-ring binder with all the rest. Same for oil changes...I simply save the oil analyses, which contain the date of the change, oil type, etc.

The logbook itself just gets the CI sign-off statement and the 24-month XPDR cert. Easy peasy.

Back