What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to Start

daviddancer99

I'm New Here
OK, I have purchased a partially built RV-14A kit. The empennage is complete to the point of joining to the fuse. The fuse is a quick build, nothing done past that stage. Wings are slow build but I have a set of QB tanks for them.

I have not built before and looking for input on where to start. I will have a great EAA chapter near me once I move but looking for input from this group.

I would appreciate any input.

Last edited:
Get a kit from Van's to practice riveting, toobox, wing section, whatever they have these days

Get a bunch of scrap aluminum and practice riveting till you're really good. Be patient with yourself as you climb the learning curve

Have friends over to help and to critique. Enjoy the fellowship at the same time

Go to AirVenture and look at all the RVs, go to the sheet metal workshop, maybe even twice. Go to a bunch of forums. Airshow is low priority.

Read all you can about engines, systems, avionics, accessories, etc

Be patient with yourself, be proud of your improvements, don't beat yourself up over the mistakes.

Read the instructions

Even though the empennage is finished read the build instructions so you know each step was completed. Critically look at the riveting, if it is really good you will have a reference to compare your future work.

Read the wing instructions from start to finish. It will help the build process if you know where you are going and why.

If you haven't checked your parts inventory, get that done. If you have checked it organize it in a method that makes it easier to find a part when you need it. Nothing like wasting an hour looking for a part.

I'm waiting for the RV-14A empennage kit to arrive before I start my build. It should be here next month. I got my wing kit last week but don't want to start with that kit.

What I've done to prepare for my build is spend 10-15 hours a day every day for the last three months on this forum and on YouTube watching and reading everything I can find about building RV's.

When I'm not researching things online, I'm in the hanger getting my work space set up. I've built five work benches, set up multiple shelving units and tables, added a dedicated tool chest, purchased thousands of dollars of tools, built a paint booth, etc.

During the last week I built the Vans toolbox practice kit and ordered a second one. I also ordered the Vans control surface practice kit. I'm building these kits then tearing them apart and building them again. The practice kit has been a huge help. You'll not only learn some basic building skills but also how to set up and use your new tools.

My advice would be to dedicate as many hours each day as you can reading posts on this forum, watching other builders on YouTube and reading builders logs on the EAA website. After doing nothing but this for the past three months, I feel like I'm about 10% ready for my build.

It's pretty overwhelming but the best and most experienced builders out there started out knowing nothing - just like us.

I'm waiting for the RV-14A empennage kit to arrive before I start my build. It should be here next month. I got my wing kit last week but don't want to start with that kit.

You could fill out your waiting time by inventorying your wing kit (it's got to be done anyway). Also there is a pile of parts that need deburring, trueing up the flange bends etc.

Seriously, buy at least a couple of the training kits. I made mistakes on every one and learned from each of those.

I will also say that it was a great help to me that I had a friend who could help me get a few things set up. Best example was my rivet gun. I was running it way to hard. Randy immediately turned it down and results improved. Without a few thousand rivets under your belt there is no way to know exactly how hard that thing is supposed to hit.

The RV-14 Wiki is also worth it’s weight in gold. If you have a question it will either be in there or you just need to re-read the instructions.

Back