What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AeroSport Power Build Lab Experience

Just got back from Kamloops BC where I when to AeroSport to build my own IO 375.

s!AuZY_7t_LXZzmrI3iE0KruBOLAE1jg

If you are in need of a motor, I strongly recommend taking advantage of the opportunity to get hands on experience building your own, both for the knowledge, and bragging rights when your hanger flying. AeroSport team was fantastic, they have a great process where you are enabled to build as much of your engine as you want, Other than some safety wiring, which I deferred on after doing a couple so as not to slow us down, I did 98% of the assembly.

It's scheduled for 3 days, T-TH, but I, and I assume most, are finished early Thursday. You start Tuesday at 8:00 and are paired with one of their mechanics who will be with you through the entire process. I worked with Edwin, who was great. I came into the build room to find everything I had ordered and configured for my 375 tagged and waiting on a cart.

I have built a number of Chevy and Ford engines this was my first airplane. You really don't need any experience as you have all your parts reselected and a build guide to walk you through step by step.

Edwin would tell me what was next, demonstrate it first is needed, and then turn me loose. When I was done, he would test and check my work and sign off on that step.
Then a separate, designated builder would have to come in and retest, recheck the work at each step and sign off. This occurred at least a dozen times through the process, and I saw its the same process they use for their regular builds.

When moved along quickly and worked until ~ 415, and which point, everything but the fuel lines had been completed. They said I did well and was ahead of schedule, don't know could just be telling the customer good things :)

Day 2, I bent and installed fuel lines, hook up starter, and it was done. Next step was to prep it for testing. This took about 2 1/2 hours, where exhaust, fuel lines, sensors and controls where hook up, and it was mounted on the back of a test truck. By noon, the truck was driven out to open area of the Kamloops airport, and it started up on the 2-3 try. That was pretty cool feeling.

They ran the engine for 2 hours, stepping up to cruise RPM, and recording perf numbers at numerous stops. Only adjustment needed as to turn down oil pressure a bit.

After 2 hours, they bring it back in, do an oil change, and send it back out with a different tester, who again puts it through its paces, and records/validates the perf numbers, that takes 30-45 mins.

Everything was good, it comes back in for the night.

Thursday morning, all the test configuration is removed and its prepped for crating and shipping.

Show up created, 8 days later.

Great motivation to keep pounding rivets.

JW

Attachments

• start.jpg
    start.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 217
  • build.jpg
    build.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 221
  • test truck.jpg
    test truck.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 200
  • wall.jpg
    wall.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 188
I also did the school, except there was a lot more snow on the ground. Great experience! Good to see Edwin still rockin the beard.

Fantastic to hear this glowing review as I am slated to attend the build school later in the year. Is there anything in the local area for the family to get out and see/do while I am at the build school during the day or is this not really a family trip?
Also, how did you work your transportation to Kamloops? A flight to Vancouver and then a smaller plane up? I haven’t looked at the logistics yet to be honest.

I attended Build School last October. I consider the school a once in a lifetime experience to build my IO-320. Darren worked with me to get what I wanted including the two-tone paint scheme. Edwin was our checker-checker for assembly and engine test. Travel from the Midwest to Kamloops went through Calgary.

Fantastic to hear this glowing review as I am slated to attend the build school later in the year. Is there anything in the local area for the family to get out and see/do while I am at the build school during the day or is this not really a family trip?
Also, how did you work your transportation to Kamloops? A flight to Vancouver and then a smaller plane up? I haven’t looked at the logistics yet to be honest.

I don't know about family stuff to do, but it is a nice area, probably something, unless it is winter time.
I flew into Bellingham, WA, rented a car, and drove to Kamloops. About a four hour drive up there, mainly due to the blizzard on the Coquihalla, and then some road construction on the way back. Stayed at the Holiday Inn, decent hotel with a restaurant. This was all back in December.

Attachments

• IMG_0706.jpg
    IMG_0706.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 115
We drove up from Seattle. Beautiful ~5 HR drive. If you fly into Van, would be 3 1/2.

Family things to do.
1. Well Gray Park. Think National Park. 2 HR drive North, and lots of spectacular water falls, great hikes.

2. Sun Peaks Ski Resort. Off season they have biking and other activities. Resteraunts, hikes, again great scenary. 40 min drive

3. 2-3 great wineries.

We went up early to have a day and a half free to do non build stuff. Glad we did, and it was worth it.

You can drive up to wells gray, see 4-5 of the waterfalls, and then hit sun Peaks for dinner on way back if only a day.

John

We drove up from Seattle. Beautiful ~5 HR drive. If you fly into Van, would be 3 1/2.

Family things to do.
1. Well Gray Park. Think National Park. 2 HR drive North, and lots of spectacular water falls, great hikes.

2. Sun Peaks Ski Resort. Off season they have biking and other activities. Resteraunts, hikes, again great scenary. 40 min drive

3. 2-3 great wineries.

We went up early to have a day and a half free to do non build stuff. Glad we did, and it was worth it.

You can drive up to wells gray, see 4-5 of the waterfalls, and then hit sun Peaks for dinner on way back if only a day.

John

Great info, thanks!

Forgive the new guy question- I just want to confirm that you build from zero? And walk out with a new, useable engine? Meaning I do not have to have an old engine to rebuild?

Yea sounds like a great adventure. Is the price of this “self” built engine competitive with an off the shelf lycoming?

Forgive the new guy question- I just want to confirm that you build from zero? And walk out with a new, useable engine? Meaning I do not have to have an old engine to rebuild?

Aerosport Power is an engine builder that can do a full new kit build direct from Lycoming (the build school we are talking about is an option for this) or they can also do a rebuilt motor for you (you can supply the core or they can source one for you). Call Darren up and discuss with him all of the options. Fantastic folks to work with!!!

Yea sounds like a great adventure. Is the price of this “self” built engine competitive with an off the shelf lycoming?

The “self” built option as you put it isn’t a discounted price or anything like that but more of an opportunity for you to have hands on experience building/learning the ins/outs of your motor while it is being built. I have found them to be competitive price wise with the other big name engine builders or a factory direct motor direct from Lycoming. Again, give Darren a call, he’d be more than happy to discuss I’m sure.

When I was shopping for an IO-320 last summer Aerosport was a few thousand dollars less than Lycoming from Vans. Besides hearing about their reputation in my local community Aerosport had a new engine on hand. Coupled with the opportunity to attend build school I put a downpayment on the engine right then. I believe Aerosport had more engine accessory and paint options. I opted for a two color engine. I also learned that Aerosport painted the parts prior to assemble and the fasteners are bare whereas Lycoming paints the assembled engine including the fasteners.

JPEG-image-18.jpg

Aerosport Power is an engine builder that can do a full new kit build direct from Lycoming (the build school we are talking about is an option for this) or they can also do a rebuilt motor for you (you can supply the core or they can source one for you). Call Darren up and discuss with him all of the options. Fantastic folks to work with!!!

Thank You!
This is fantastic news!
The engine page on Vans shows blank...kind of puts the brakes on a kit buy.

Back