What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Second Battery Size and Location

hoyden

Well Known Member
I am planning the secondary power bus for my dual Lightspeed dual Garmin G3X VFR RV-9. I would like to know what size battery did you use and where did you mount it? I bought a 12 AH AGM battery that I planned to mount to the firewall in the cabin but I'm thinking it's too big to easily fit. I would like to learn how folks have implemented their second battery.

My -10 has dual Lightspeed ignitions with two EarthX ETX-900 batteries mounted on the firewall. The plane also has two alternators with a Cross Tie circuit that can be used if either one battery or one alternator fails.

Thank you for your perspectives. I plan to use the Monkworkz generator, a second battery, and a cross-tie circuit breaker switch. I don't see any easy way to mount a second battery. I imagine a second battery is recommended even with the generator. I can see using the second battery to power the avionics (primarily the displays and EMS) when starting the engine. Then an avionics master switch to supply the primary avionics power once the engine is running.

Thank you for your perspectives. I plan to use the Monkworkz generator, a second battery, and a cross-tie circuit breaker switch. I don't see any easy way to mount a second battery. I imagine a second battery is recommended even with the generator. I can see using the second battery to power the avionics (primarily the displays and EMS) when starting the engine. Then an avionics master switch to supply the primary avionics power once the engine is running.

I recommend you prioritize your design to keep the engine running. This requires your Lightspeed Ignitions to be wired directly to a battery via a standalone breaker, each going to a separate battery. Never have engine electrical power on the output side of your master switch(es).

A second generator mitigates the risk of loss of primary generator - only. Two batteries and the nice Monkworz provide options for multiple backup modes when the “I did not think of that” system fault happens. But - excessive use of buss ties and such add (in my opinion) unnecessary complexity, adding to pilot load as well as (in most cases) adding new points of potential failure. Continued IFR flight without pilot action on a system fault should be the objective of your design. System recovery (e.g. a pre-determined backup mode) is then done in a less than crisis manner.

One other point - there are advantages to having identical batteries in a dual battery design.

Carl

Last edited:
If you're asking purely about physically where to mount the second battery, I have a dual battery, single alternator system and I simply took the location in the plans on the firewall, made a tray large enough for 2 identical PC680's with aluminum angle hold downs and added aluminum angle bracing on the cockpit side of the firewall to compensate for the added weight, keeping in mind it has to be able to withstand the factory g limits. I have 2 independent master switches, one for each battery and independent grounds. When one master is off, that battery is completely isolated from the entire electrical system.

I have dual P-Mags, so operationally I'm different than your architecture. On cross countries, I fly on one alternator/battery like most non experimentals and keep the other off in case I have a failure of any kind. If I have a failure I can turn everything off and then switch to the other battery only and it will be at full capacity.

Have you considered the EarthX ETX-104 avionics backup battery? I installed one in my dual-Lightspeed-equipped -6, mainly as backup power for one of the ignitions. It's mounted "upside down" in between the inner and outer instrument panels, left of the radio stack.

20200723_101622.jpg 20200723_101458.jpg

I recommend you prioritize your design to keep the engine running. This requires your Lightspeed Ignitions to be wired directly to a battery via a standalone breaker, each going to a separate battery. Never have engine electrical power on the output side of your master switch(es).

A second generator mitigates the risk of loss of primary generator - only. Two batteries and the nice Monkworz provide options for multiple backup modes when the “I did not think of that” system fault happens. But - excessive use of buss ties and such add (in my opinion) unnecessary complexity, adding to pilot load as well as (in most cases) adding new points of potential failure. Continued IFR flight without pilot action on a system fault should be the objective of your design. System recovery (e.g. a pre-determined backup mode) is then done in a less than crisis manner.

One other point - there are advantages to having identical batteries in a dual battery design.

Carl
I agree with you but I just installed a Surefly ignition under their STC in a C-182 and Surefly calls out that the power for the ignition to be supplied by the output side of the battery solenoid. I don't like that either.

I agree with you but I just installed a Surefly ignition under their STC in a C-182 and Surefly calls out that the power for the ignition to be supplied by the output side of the battery solenoid. I don't like that either.

I also assume the STC requires the other ignition to be a mag as risk mitigation against this obvious design flaw.

Luckily in our world we have opportunity to do better.

Carl

Don't you still have to keep a mag in cert world? Different philosophy if still true.

To the OP’s original question, here is how an RV-14A builder added a second PC-680 using a standard Van’s battery box.
IMG-0576.jpg

Carl

I'm ambivalent about using Li so I stayed with an AGM battery. Li batteries are easier to mount but seem finicky with charging and discharging.

I wonder about Li battery failures, their high current demand when charging, and the voltage drop off when discharged below 10V.

I am working out a battery mounting case for my AGM battery on the opposite side of the firewall from my main battery. There's limited room and ease of maintenance in that location. Having maintained my RV-6 for the past 22 years I am focused on making maintenance as least troublesome as I can.

In addition to the Monkworkz generator I have planned for two pullable panel breakers one for each Lightspeed with the power coming directly from each battery. I will have two avionics master switches and a cross tie circuit breaker.

Now that I have a second battery mount I can easily experiment with trying a Li battery that can readily fit where the AGM battery resides.

Have you considered the EarthX ETX-104 avionics backup battery? I installed one in my dual-Lightspeed-equipped -6, mainly as backup power for one of the ignitions. It's mounted "upside down" in between the inner and outer instrument panels, left of the radio stack.

View attachment 42905 View attachment 42904

2nd Van's battery box

2nd Van's battery box if that works for you.

Attachments

• TimePhoto_20201017_005342.jpg
    TimePhoto_20201017_005342.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 58
2nd Van's battery box if that works for you.

The pilot side battery is where I plan to mount my oil cooler. I ended up fabricating a battery box and installing it on the opposite side of the firewall from the main battery. The 12 AH battery should provide enough juice to limp home from just about anywhere. After talking with my tech advisor I learned he used a much smaller 5 AH battery. He explained the battery is intended to provide filtering for the vacuum pad mounted alternator. This is what happens when I strike out on my own and I go overkill.
IMG-8819.jpg

IMG-8818.jpg

The lower the hotter

To the OP’s original question, here is how an RV-14A builder added a second PC-680 using a standard Van’s battery box.
IMG-0576.jpg

Carl

My second battery is mounted low on the firewall and runs 30 F higher than the plans firewall location. Mounting higher better.

Back