What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beringer Valve Stem

hpdmp3486

I have an RV9A with a Beringer nose wheel. Troubleshooting a small leak, went to tighten the valve stem and it snapped off. Very "soft" material compared to the quality of the rim. Luckily I purchased an extra. Was wondering if I need any thing like Loctite on the threads going into the rim?

Loctite needed

I believe Beringer calls out blue Loctite for the wheel screws but for the valve stem a fresh O-ring should be used. This is not included in the replacement valve stem and needs to be ordered separate. (A-001 and J-JTR-017N) Both available from ACS. The O-ring between the grooves needs to be greased and the channels should be cleaned with a Q-tip to properly seal the 2-piece rim. Also, I used BullSnot to lubricate the tire to the rim. Inflate to 60 psi and at conditional, down to 50 psi. The Sensair system works great. At 250 hrs. rotated the mains and probably next rotation ~ 600 hrs. I would not be surprised to get 1,000 hrs. from the stock main tires, nose wheel should go considerably longer. 98% on asphalt and concrete. Landing at 55 - 57 knots seems to really have prolonged the life of the tires.

Last edited:
Confused on the o ring. There is the stem that tightens into the rim and the valve that goes into the stem. The valve has an o ring. Does the stem going into the rim need an o ring also?

O-ring needed

Confused on the o ring. There is the stem that tightens into the rim and the valve that goes into the stem. The valve has an o ring. Does the stem going into the rim need an o ring also?

I'm pretty sure an O-ring is needed between the stem and rim. Even the French probably can't make this seal correctly although it is very well made. Maybe that is why you thought Loctite might be used? Pipe thread probably would work along with the O-ring but I followed Beringers plans.

Attachments

• Beringer O ring.jpg
    Beringer O ring.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 104
Back