What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAA AC 20-27G In-Process Inspections, Required?

SCondie

I'm New Here
Regarding airworthiness inspections for EAB aircraft, are FAA DARs checking log books for "In Process Inspections"? AC20-27G implies this is required, but I can't find any references to these occurring in this forum. Most of the reports on airworthiness inspections mention that the DAR barely looked at the build log book. Obviously it's a good idea, but is it required?

I recently finished the empennage for an RV-8 and haven't had any tech counselors review my work. I've felt comfortable with the workmanship based on the Vans documentation, resources on the internet and AC43.13. I've gotten stuck a few times and posted on here or discussed with a tech counselor over the phone.

Apologies if this topic has been covered, but I couldn't find any threads on it.

AC 20-27G 8-3 In-Process Inspections. You should be aware that the FAA will not perform in-process inspections during the construction of your aircraft. Because of this, your documentation needs to indicate in-process inspections by knowledgeable persons such as EAA technical counselors or certificated mechanics. All in-process inspection documentation needs to include dates and names of all person(s) involved.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_20-27G.pdf

In-process inspections are not required but offer an excellent opportunity to validate the quality of your work. Plus, the comradery they afford will pay dividends as you get closer to completion. But get the suggested info to support the inspections, it gives your DAR a warm fuzzy feeling about your project.

Last edited:
In-process inspections are not required but offer an excellent opportunity to validate the quality of your work. Plus, the comradery they afford will pay dividends as you get closer to completion. But get the suggested info to support the inspections, it gives your DAR a warm fuzzy feeling about your project.

PLUS 1, er, 3!

Back