What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whirlwind overhaul interval

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Hey all-

I could really go on a rant here, but I'm going to try and restrain myself to just the facts;

When I was deciding on a prop, I went to the whirlwind site and discovered that the spec sheet for a 300-72 stated the overhaul interval was 6year/650 hour. same calendar limit as Hartzell and likely more hours than I'll fly.

Note- before somebody else says it, yeah, I know that limit is more like a suggestion in this world.

Anyway, I ordered that prop and when it was delivered yesterday the data sheet said 5 year/500 hours.

I emailed the sales guy at Whirlwind and he was like oh, it's always been that, the website you saw doesn't exist any more.

I'm like "This was the data I used to make my buy decision. It does exist I'm looking at it right now, here's a screen shot!"

Anyway, the result is that as of about an hour ago, if you google "whirlwind 300 prop". it now takes you to a different website that states overhaul limits of 5 years/500 hours.

Sales guy has chosen to say that the 300 series has always been a 5yr/500 hour overhaul, in spite of me bringing up the bigger numbers in an email when I was ordering it plus evidence to the contrary published by his own company, but now evidently deleted from the face of the earth.

He also stated that those numbers may go up at some non-specific point in the future as more of them go into service.

I'm sure it will be a great prop and will hopefully give me a lot of years of happy flying, but if anybody is weighing their options for props, just know that as of right now, the recommended overhaul limit for a Whirlwind is only 5 years.

Last edited:
Whirlwind

Thanks for posting that.
Confirms my decision to wait as long as possible to order. Last thing I put on the airplane. I don't want a minute of TBO lost while in storage.

Actually if you look at the manual, it states that the 5 yr, 500 hr is because the 300-series is a new design and they're being conservative. Here's the verbiage in the manual:

"Because of how new this propeller system is, the teardown inspection interval is 5 years/500 hrs. You may call
Whirl Wind Propellers to check for updates on this inspection interval to see when it increases."

I think you will ultimately be very happy with your choice.

Yes, I believe that you will find that as more service experience is gained with that model of propeller, the published service interval will be increased. That was indeed the case with my WW 200RV prop.

A short time ago, I think that Whirlwind "consolidated" everything into California. Prior to that, the constant speed props were handled out of Ohio by a "partner company" that had Whirlwind in the name. It was easy to get the two (very much related) companies confused.

So ***MAYBE*** your original info came from Ohio and now you are getting it "straight from the horse mouth" out of California.

Just a guess as to what might have happened. Doesn't ease your frustration, but maybe an explanation.

Last edited:
378 HRT

Although not the same prop the Whirlwind 378 HRT is now 800 hrs published in the service manual. I thought my 300 series prop from WW was published 650 hrs. I’ll check tomorrow at my hangar. Regardless you will love it I’m sure. Mine was very smooth but after 250 hrs decided to balance it and although it was good got even better !!

I don't mean to sound like the dad on one of those TV shows, "But these things are going to happen." Airplanes are expensive and there will be several of these gotcha's along the way.

And yes, I bought my prop early on through a group purchase from VAF because it was such a good deal. Then ended up getting it overhauled before the first flight due to the number of years it had been sitting. The prop shop said, "It looks brand new!" It essentially was...it had been sitting in its box in an air conditioned shop for much of that time since I got it. In reality, they replaced the O-rings and seals, inspected it, and sent it on its way.

And yes, there are those that will say that the overhaul wasn't necessary, is somewhat arbitrary, etc. But I did it anyway. Some of these guidelines are based on terrible things, some are based on material properties, some are based on lawyers' advice. I'm pretty conservative about these things, so if in doubt, I just bite the bullet and do it. Don't get wrapped around the axle about these things, or you'll drive yourself crazy.

650 hrs

FYI, this was purchased in the 2018-time frame and came out of the Ohio location which is now consolidated to California. I think the Ohio facility (Titan Aircraft) will still refurbish as required. In 2018 the California facility could not use the type of painted I wanted so done in Ohio. Same as the 378 HRT 3 years ago.

Attachments

• ww.jpg
    ww.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 49
Back