What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recent Issues filing IFR through Foreflight

Dan Langhout

Well Known Member
Anyone else having issues with IFR plans filed through Foreflight in the last few weeks? I get the "flight summary" E-mail from them immediately (always have), but the "Expected Route" E-mail has been getting really delayed, 12 HOURS in one case. On that one, I ended up filing on the fly with an Atlanta Center controller while idling on the ramp. One I filed this morning took over an hour. I suspect that it may be an issue with with the FAA rather than with Foreflight per se. Just wondering if its just me or a broader issue.
I contacted Foreflight support about this - I will report back.

The ForeFlight expected route emails are generated via a connection to the FAA SWIM feed. So, ForeFlight passes on whatever it gets back from the FAA through the SWIM feed. In some cases, there will not be an expected route issued at all. In others, the expected route won’t be issued until just prior to departure. But in many cases, the SWIM feed immediately provides an expected route, because the HOST computer is able to issue one.

On that one, I ended up filing on the fly with an Atlanta Center controller while idling on the ramp.

I am not sure what is meant by this. Are you saying that you filed via ForeFlight, but when you called for clearance, one was not available?

Regardless of whether you get an expected route email, your flight plan will/should be on file.

No Flight Plan

ATC didn’t have my plan. I had filed it via ForeFlight about 30 minutes prior. Normally this all works fine.

My experience

Last week, I filed through Foreflight, picked up my clearance on the ground before takeoff (it was the expected clearance that Foreflight reported back to me), but then once I was in the air the departure controller didn't have a plan for me. Had not had that happen before.

ATC didn’t have my plan. I had filed it via ForeFlight about 30 minutes prior. Normally this all works fine.

Shout out to Foreflight Support +

So - it seems as though I somehow fat fingered my flight plan and entered it for a day later than I had thought. Foreflight support explained to me that flight plans filed more than 22 hours in advance are "held" and not processed until they hit the 22 hour mark. Based on my error, Foreflight's system responded just as it was supposed to. Guess you can't fix (my) stupid . . . . :eek:

Just wanted to give a shout out to Foreflight's support folks. I received a very prompt response to my questions through the normal Foreflight support process as well as some very prompt help right here on VAF from Josh (SPX). Thanks!

Back