What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build time for each kit

Kahle76

I’m currently finishing up our fuselage and our finish kit is scheduled for crating in April or May. Wings and empennage are finished. I’m trying to decide when to order the power plant and avionics. Could you let me know how many build hours it took you to complete each of the six kits? I understand that everyone’s skill level is different so I was hoping to extrapolate my completion for the last three kits and order the last two kits accordingly.

Thanks

Last edited:
Might want them both soon

I was planning to get the avionics kit, then the power plant, with significant time between them, based on the order of the section in the instructions. what I got was both of then close together and reasonably rapidly after the finish kit was delivered. Actually I got the avionics kit just before the finish Kit and the power plant a month later.

This was actually an advantage because you will end up jumping between them. The finish kit includes the cowling and a note that is should not be installed until the engine is in place. The avionics instructions in some places assume that the engine wiring is already in place, but there is a note in the final assembly instructions (section 38 Finish kit) that indicates that it would be easier to install some of the wiring and the fuel pump assembly before the tail is joined to the fuselage. Working around back-ordered parts also didn't help. (Side note: when you do get close to being blocked by a missing part - CALL VANS. They have been very good about getting me back-ordered parts when I got to a stoppage.)

I was able to do both the fuel pump and the main wire harness before the join. The fuel pump would definitely be a PITA to do laying in the baggage area. Doing the wire harness didn't save as much, simply because the difficulty is getting it into the bottom of the fuselage, which is the same whether or not you have a tail connected.

If I had to guess - the instructions seem to have been written for the avionics to be installed after the power plant was done, even though they have lower section numbers. The avionics sections have you removing a the tunnel and other covers that were installed in the (later) engine sections.

What ever you do, be rigorous about keeping track of what is done and what is to be done.

However that is one mans situation. Your mileage may vary.

Not anything really new to add to prior comment...just my comments since I'm in that situation now.

I'm doing the last 3 at this time and have been jumping all over due to what was previously mentioned -the instructions pretty much tell you to and back order items moves you to something else...having more kits gives you more options as well. If you want the easiest build possible, have all three on site. Engine on prior to cowling (essential), common wiring before tail attach (I did - probably easier) - and fuel pumps (definitely easier). I had to push the canopy until it warms up as well - so that's last for me.

Seems like their numbered order is pretty good but the level of guidance is a lot looser than the prior kits as far as order goes as you noticed. Unlike the prior kits, I don't think you can get in serious trouble changing the order unless it's in the notes but you don't get the warm fuzzy getting specific guidance like earlier kits (my experience).

Just a note from one of my screw ups - when putting on the landing gear, be sure to use permatex #2 to seal the brake connectors (not teflon tape) and put them in the gear legs really tight (probably tighter than you expect you would have to). I had to take one off 2 more times to stop a tiny leak before I really torqued it on there and it's good. Check them a few days later looking for the brake fluid seeping.

Caution: Experience has been mixed with Permatex#2 in brake and fuel connections. I switched to Locktite#567 to fix leaks. Recommend a thorough search of these forums to decide. Arguments and experience go both ways.

Caution: Experience has been mixed with Permatex#2 in brake and fuel connections. I switched to Locktite#567 to fix leaks. Recommend a thorough search of these forums to decide. Arguments and experience go both ways.

I’m also sticking with Loctite 567.

I’m currently finishing up our fuselage and our finish kit is scheduled for crating in April or May. Wings and empennage are finished. I’m trying to decide when to order the power plant and avionics. Could you let me know how many build hours it took you to complete each of the six kits? I understand that everyone’s skill level is different so I was hoping to extrapolate my completion for the last three kits and order the last two kits accordingly.

Thanks

I'd order now, subject to $$$'s, as the engine and avionics are on such a long lead in time you'll be twiddling all sorts of things while you wait. Also the cost of things rarelly goes down.
For me from opening the first crate to finished took 3 years. Now when you set aside 6 months waiting for stuff, 6 months when it was too cold in the workshop to do anything. 3 months for the UK LAA/CAA , our EAA/FAA, to process the paperwork and then another month for the general faffing about waiting for weather etc, to carry out test flying going to Oshkosh et cetera!! I got to a build time of around 20 months. Each section took roughly an equal amount of time,That was pretty much some work every or every other day. I also primed everything, everywhere, but left the external painting to a professional. Engine and avionics took no time at all to fit. Engine cowls were an absolute 'faff', don't even think about trying anything to do with them untill you have the engine mounted. Spend time on the fuel and brake lines to get them right!! Because getting back in there when you've finished it all is another 'faff', I know!! Don't attempt anything to do with the perspex/lexan parts until the temperature is above +25C preferably +30C. Fibreglass work to the canopy was easier than I thought just follow the instructions and temperature guidelines, 'peel ply' should be worshipped!!

If you want any other info just ask.

John.

Attachments

• 20221012_094512.jpg
    20221012_094512.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 20191014_105207_1571074391931_resized.jpg
    20191014_105207_1571074391931_resized.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 77
Great info! Thanks, I’m busy working except for the winter months which is when I can do the building. My fuselage has definitely taken longer than the wings and empennage. I doubt if I get very much time to work on the finish kit when it’s scheduled to arrive in June.

Back