What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LANDOLL balancer

Stewbronco

Well Known Member
Hi all ...anyone have pictures of a LANDOLL balancer installed....of better yet a copy of install instructions. Many thanks. Stew

Only pic I could find of mine when installed. Sold since this pic. Just bolted to flywheel/crank with appropriate bolts washers and lock nuts. Careful on thread length so not to interfere with starter drive. Prop was balanced using same bolts with additional washers to balance. Prop extension fits without conflict. Hope this helps

Attachments

• F7DE1CFB-A8FC-45AB-9E86-E8C8376AF00D.jpeg
    F7DE1CFB-A8FC-45AB-9E86-E8C8376AF00D.jpeg
    315.1 KB · Views: 536
Landoll Harmonic Balancer

Hi all ...anyone have pictures of a LANDOLL balancer installed....of better yet a copy of install instructions. Many thanks. Stew

If you search this thread, I remember seeing a copy of the installation instructions. Here is the original ad.....takes me back a few years.....

Pictures to follow.....

Attachments

• img769r.jpg
    img769r.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 751
Landoll Harmonic Balancer

Here are a few angles..........

Attachments

• IMG_93451.jpg
    IMG_93451.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_93461.jpg
    IMG_93461.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_93471.jpg
    IMG_93471.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_93481.jpg
    IMG_93481.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_93491.jpg
    IMG_93491.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 346
Torque spec

I have the same setup on my RV4 O320. Any chance anyone has the torque spec for the balancer to the crank flange? Having to pull it to check / comply with an AD for the crank flange and can’t find a spec anywhere. Thank you in advance

Kris

The balancer bolts to the starter ring gear support (flywheel) along its periphery. It does not attach to the crankshaft flange. If you remove it from the support then use standard torque settings for the fasteners used.

Ok thank you, I was going to pull the whole prop, extension, balancer, and flywheel as an assembly to check the crankshaft flange for corrosion per the Lycoming AD at my annual. In the first photo posted above there are safety wired bolts on the prop extension to the flywheel. I can remove those to remove the whole deal as an assembly to check for the corrosion then reinstall and torque to standard specs then? Thank you again

Prop and extension removal....

Ok thank you, I was going to pull the whole prop, extension, balancer, and flywheel as an assembly to check the crankshaft flange for corrosion per the Lycoming AD at my annual. I can remove those to remove the whole deal as an assembly to check for the corrosion then reinstall and torque to standard specs then? Thank you again

Looking something else up and came upon this post that wasn't answered. Have you done this yet?

I would recommend removing the spinner, the prop from the extension, the balancer from the starter ring, then remove the extension and starter ring from the prop flange. I would NOT remove all that as a complete unit for several reasons: 1) all that should come off and be inspected anyway. 2) Taking off each individual part makes for a MUCH less bulky item for you to nearly drop and ding your prop, starter ring or extension. Not mention all that combined would be VERY HEAVY! 3) if it has been a while you probably need to replace your alternator belt anyway (even if it "looks good"; they can fail from the inside) and the starter ring has to be taken off for that.

Then: retorque the extension/starter ring to the prop flange. Do it gradually torqueing the bolts in a "6-12/10/4 2/8" alternating pattern. DO NOT go around 1-2-3 etc. You want that to sit even on the prop flange. The value I find most often is 60 ft/lb (55-65 being the range). Then safety wire those bolts into place.

Prop: depends on the manufacturer. Most wooden prop manufactures seem to recommend 25 ft/lbs to be checked frequently depending on the environment you are mostly in. Wooden props can absorb/lose moisture and expand/contract. I check mine after a long trip to different environments (OSH, for example), at 25 hours and, of course, at each conditional inspection. These are usually fiber lock nuts and should be replaced probably every 100 hours or so, especially if you are checking the torque frequently. And do the alternating pattern for those bolts as well.

Balancer ring: the bolts that hold it to the starter ring were torqued to 15 ft/pounds. That is for the OUTTERmost ring of bolts (the innermost are from the factory build and should be left alone...but were found to be torqued to 25 inch/lbs) This is NOT from the installation information; it's what mine were torqued to when I took it off.

YMMV, IMHO.......

Balancers

Good afternoon I have a 0320 150hp. I am interested in one of your balancers. What is the weight? And will the work on the 0320. Thanks Mike

Anyone have an idea on how much a use landoll would sell for? I have one (without the aerobatic plate) that I dont need and want to price appropriately.

Thanks,
D

Landoll balancer

Anyone have an idea on how much a use landoll would sell for? I have one (without the aerobatic plate) that I dont need and want to price appropriately.

Thanks,
D

New ones are pretty pricy. You might be able to find them searching Landoll in the archives....

Yeah, I spoke with the company who makes them now and they are going for $1300! I have one that I wont be needing so I should be listing it shortly in the Marketplace.

Back