What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interior paint

bob888

Well Known Member
I'm thinking about paint for the exposed aluminum areas of the interior. Is regular (i.e. hardware store) acrylic paint suitable or would most use a two part epoxy type paint? Specific recommendations?

I'm thinking about paint for the exposed aluminum areas of the interior. Is regular (i.e. hardware store) acrylic paint suitable or would most use a two part epoxy type paint? Specific recommendations?

How hard do you want the finish to be? How will it react to typical wear and tear? Do want it to be resistant to spilling Avgas, MEK, or Acetone?

I used Rustoleum on mine. Looks good and is easy to apply, but it's not the most durable finish. MEK it take it right off.

There are lots of threads on this here ... I just starting painting with a one-part JetFlex WR (water reducible), in semigloss grey (BAC 704). JetFlex seems to be a common choice that many are happy with (myself included).

My buddy and I finished the interior of his airplane with Rustoleum. The finish was very nice but the durability turned out to be an issue. The paint could be scratched easily. Also, the matte finish got dirty easily while the gloss finish stayed much cleaner. We went with matte to try and avoid glare off the panel but in the end I don't think it was an issue.

My recommendation would be a two part paint. I have started using Eastwood 2K Aero-Spray Paints.

http://www.eastwood.com/paints/2k-aero-spray-paints.html

They are two part epoxy paints in a spray can. There is actually a small canister imbedded in the bottom of a full size spray paint can that activates the paint when pressed. I have had very good luck priming with these. The finish is durable and scratch resistant. They are not cheap but definitely worth the extra cost. No mixing or cleaning and the can will last at least a couple of days after activating. Just remember to turn the can over and blow the tip clean after each use.

I hope this helps... Take care.

FWIW, if/when I do this again, my plan is to prime the inside skins with a 2 part epoxy in a color that is acceptable and call it good. I primed my -8 using Akzo and it has been almost bullet proof in terms of wear, but it's green. The thought struck me that if the color had been acceptable, all I would have had to do is touch it up a little and add trim colors.

Interior

I used Sherwin Williams "Genesis" which is pretty much their automotive equivalent to JetFlex. This is a two part paint that is Rock Hard and so far (300 hours later) un-scratchable. It was hard to work with initially, but for me was worth it.

http://www.704ch.com/2013/02/finished-panel-and-interior.html

Very nice Chad.
That's how I want to do it. I figure my primer will run out just about when the interior need to be done.
Did you shoot the interior parts as you went similar to priming or did you assemble then shoot the interior?

I used Dupont Nason. It is a urethane single stage.

I primed and painted the components PRIOR to assembly and was very careful bucking the rivets. It came out great!

I would do it all over again!

:) CJ

NAPA Crossfire

I painted my interior with NAPA Crossfire urethane. This is made by Sherwin Williams. Bulletproof. Available at your local NAPA store which has a paint section. Very reasonably priced. 5 yrs + without any issues.

There are lots of threads on this here ... I just starting painting with a one-part JetFlex WR (water reducible), in semigloss grey (BAC 704). JetFlex seems to be a common choice that many are happy with (myself included).

I like the JetFlex WR too... and it can be custom matched to any color you want.

Since it's water based it does need a while (3+ days at least) to fully cure and become scratch resistant.

Back