What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weight and balance/exp 119

Wingit

I am installing the exp 119 engine and it is a few pounds lighter than the A engine. I have my elt mounted back by the HS, would it be a good idea to move the elt forward just behind the baggage area. I am using the Hartzell aluminum prop. Thanks

Dave

Do Some Weight & Balance Gosintas

You need to recalculate your empty weight and empty weight center of gravity. It’s easy if you have reliable, current Wt. & Bal. numbers. If not, you’ll need to weigh the airplane. (Gosintas.... this goes inta this... etc.)

I installed the Thunderbolt engine and standard prop. I found that I needed a little weight (~10 lbs) in the baggage compartment during phase 1 (minimal interior, no paint) to stay well inside the CG. Perhaps, consider leaving the ELT where it is until painting etc. is complete.

The airplane is now out of phase 1 and in the paint shop. I will be weighing again after paint and can evaluate.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry unless you were going with a composite prop (-10 pounds) and an EarthX battery (-10 pounds). Even then, it would depend on pilot and passenger weights and a very low fuel supply with full 100 pounds of baggage.

I am installing the exp 119 engine and it is a few pounds lighter than the A engine. I have my elt mounted back by the HS, would it be a good idea to move the elt forward just behind the baggage area. I am using the Hartzell aluminum prop. Thanks

Dave

Back