What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Making a first timer comfortable

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
This flight had two purposes: one was to take a friend flying, and the other was to collect some data for later analysis.

Said friend is a retired seminary professor -- he's taught at really big name seminaries, here and abroad -- and he is absolutely brilliant. And I've met and worked with any number of really smart people in my time. But, having ridden with him in his car, I wasn't anticipating a high level of mechanical sophistication, and above all didn't want him queasy. So...

Turns out his considerable gifts do not include the mechanical realm. The solution was to show him the altitude and heading knobs on the autopilot controller, which windows to look at on the PFD on his side, and have him turn the knobs. That got him in the loop and, in a very real sense, he was in control of the airplane and more comfortable. I also showed him how to take screen shots (hold down the MENU button for a few seconds), and those are now on their way to Bill at eHangar.org for his panel planner.

After a while, I did some 30? banks, some in level flight, some attempting to hold the same AOA as in level flight. I can see that there will be a lot of algebra ahead as I explore various hypotheses... And once we were in smooth air, I let the plane stabilize at various power settings, because it's easier IFR if you can set the power in advance and know what airspeed to expect. (When I tried that the other day in only slightly unsettled air, the up and down drafts gave a speed range of 19 knots at one power setting...)

A short, peaceful data collection flight, and a good time was had by all. Let's call that success!

Good thing you have side-by-side seating.

For first timers, the most important thing is communication- Constantly explaining what you are doing and why.

In the Bonanza, announcing "I'm going to put the wheels up now. You will hear the electric motor buzzing under your seat."
"See the runway? We're going to pass it on the right side, and make a left U-turn and land coming this way"

Explanations go a long way towards Nervous Nelly's comfort level.

above all didn't want him queasy. So...

In my experience, with new passengers/first-time small-plane rides, I don't have them do *anything* but look outside, although I ask them if they want to try flying it a bit (in which case, they get the stick and we talk through very gentle turns, climbs and descents). No steep turns, nothing that induces Gs (or worse, negative Gs), smooth air only (i.e., morning flights, usually), and *short*.

How I took my wife flying for the first time.

I met my wife in 2003 and she had never flown in any type of plane, much less a small single engine job.
While we were dating, I would always gently offer to take her with me whenever I was going to fly, and I was flying a lot.

I could tell by her polite declination that she wanted to, but, she had fear(s).

After about a year, one beautiful morning, I said, "I'm going to go flying, just cruise around and have fun, do you want to go?"
To my surprise, she said 'maybe' and drove me to the airport. I was hangared at a short grass strip and my RV7 was just a 'canoe' and a pile of sheet metal in the workshop. But I had my trusty '62 210.

She had never even been close to old 26X and when we got there I took a long time to show her the preparation, preflight and planning that go into safe flying. I took her through every step of the preflight, explaining what I was doing and why.

In the cockpit I spent a good deal of time going over the controls, gauges and placards. All very confusing to a novice. I don't think she understood everything, but she believed I DID.

She took a deep breath and asked: "What if I am scared?"

My answer: "We will take off. If you feel scared or uncomfortable, we will land immediately (and I won't ask again)."

The deafening noise of that old IO-470 and bumping down a grass strip were pretty unnerving to her, but she was determined to give it a chance.

I reassured her that I had done this hundreds of times (true). She took a deep breath and set her jaw and we got airborne. As soon as the wheels cleared, the flight become very smooth (beautiful calm day). I looked over and she was staring out the window with a sense of wonder that you normally only see in small children, then a big grin broke over her face.

I asked her "are you all right"? She said yes. "Do you want to land now"?
"No, lets keep going (or words to that effect)"

I said, "I'm hungry and there is a nice little restaurant in Hondo, about 20 minutes from here" She said lets go. We flew there. The restaurant was packed, food was good, everyone was super friendly and there were a ton of planes on the ramp. Sad to say, Amelias is no longer there.

On the flight home she got a bit apprehensive about landing on the grass.

Again "I've done this hundreds of times" and the aviation gods rewarded me with a perfect greaser. :)

She has been my right seat partner ever since. We racked up hundreds of hours, in the 210 and the RV7. Sonya and I will celebrate 15 years of marriage in April.

We've flown over the Grand Canyon, to the East Coast, to Las Vegas and many other places. Dozens (if not hundreds) of trips.

I have given more than a few people there 'first rides'. It all boils down to helping them overcome their natural fear (if they have any). Patience and a calm demeanor are two big factors.

Later,

I've given lots of people their first airplane ride, and their first motorcycle ride. I would NEVER do anything that would make them unsure, or scared they did it. I want everyone to enjoy flying or riding as much as I do.

Not RV related but story wise related.
Many years ago I had the distinct pleasure of transporting a very sick elderly lady (98) from a small rural town when I was operating in the Aeromeducal field who had never been in a plane in her life.
We loaded her aboard the plane (B200) and as I closed the cargo door and proceeded towards the cockpit she reached out took my hand and said "take me to heaven", true story🙂

I just gave my daughter?s boyfriend his first ride in a small airplane a couple weeks ago. Gave him all the info up front and he did great. Loved it. I asked if he wanted to experience 2 Gs and he said yes, but almost instantly, when the G hit, he very quickly tapped out! He was still ok, no nausea or anything, but Gs aren?t for him, but he certainly would like to fly more!

I recall an incident several years back when we held a Young Eagles Day at the airport that had a mob of parents with their eager kids waiting in line. After my third run I was introduced to a 12-year old boy who happened to be holding a teddy bear, which I thought was a little odd. After introductions and completing a walk-around inspection with him and his mom, we prepared to board the RV. Just prior to boarding, the mother said, "He is autistic, but I think he will be ok." Well, this gave me some instant apprehension. So I told the young man that at any point he wanted to stop, just give me the "thumbs down signal." After engine start I looked at him for a thumbs up. Check. After we taxied out to the runway, thumbs up? Check. Shortly after takeoff, another thumbs up. The 15-minute flight went off without a hitch. I think I was definitely more relieved to land than the young man. He was all smiles after the flight.

Last edited:
Back