What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carbon Monoxide Detector…

Piper J3

Well Known Member
I found significant cracks in my muffler during Annual Condition Inspection. I have replaced entire exhaust system with a unit that has 70TT and all is good...

I have been following discussions about Carbon Monoxide (CO) related to Rotax exhaust systems that are held together with springs. I decided to install a CO detector and found a nice self-contained unit on Amazon for a very reasonable price. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076S6KBP2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I used small pads of 3M Body-Side Molding Tape to mount the unit to the instrument panel. The tape provides a standoff and allows air to recirculate to the back side where the sensor is located. I also added 3M Black Vinyl electrical tape to the aluminum sides of the unit so it has similar appearance to iPads I use for navigation. I had screen protector left over from the iPads so I cut a pattern for the CO detector to eliminate glare. The installation photo is without the screen protector.

PIREP: I did a round-robin flight to four out-laying airports with full stop and taxi back. Detector shows zero CO during flight and zero CO during taxi with canopy closed. I saw 10 ppm during taxi with the canopy open for ground ventilation. I suspect engine exhaust is swirling into the open canopy during taxi. When canopy is closed, the detector again shows zero in cruise flight.
-

Attachments

• 625C59D4-94A1-47C0-AF0F-B4CCDAC5425E.jpg
    625C59D4-94A1-47C0-AF0F-B4CCDAC5425E.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 199
  • 5CAC4C61-82B3-444B-8A83-A11E68B72097.jpg
    5CAC4C61-82B3-444B-8A83-A11E68B72097.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 156
  • D306319E-CC0C-43B9-981D-CA0749E7A523.jpg
    D306319E-CC0C-43B9-981D-CA0749E7A523.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 124
I found significant cracks in my muffler during Annual Condition Inspection. I have replaced entire exhaust system with a unit that has 70TT and all is good...

I have been following discussions about Carbon Monoxide (CO) related to Rotax exhaust systems that are held together with springs. I decided to install a CO detector and found a nice self-contained unit on Amazon for a very reasonable price. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076S6KBP2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I used small pads of 3M Body-Side Molding Tape to mount the unit to the instrument panel. The tape provides a standoff and allows air to recirculate to the back side where the sensor is located. I also added 3M Black Vinyl electrical tape to the aluminum sides of the unit so it has similar appearance to iPads I use for navigation. I had screen protector left over from the iPads so I cut a pattern for the CO detector to eliminate glare. The installation photo is without the screen protector.

PIREP: I did a round-robin flight to four out-laying airports with full stop and taxi back. Detector shows zero CO during flight and zero CO during taxi with canopy closed. I saw 10 ppm during taxi with the canopy open for ground ventilation. I suspect engine exhaust is swirling into the open canopy during taxi. When canopy is closed, the detector again shows zero in cruise flight.
-
I use the same CO detector and get similar results - nothing when flying, but get alerts on the ground when the wind is behind me. So I know it's working, at least.

http://www.fdatasystems.com/gd-40-co-detector

This is a unit designed to interface with your EFIS and audio system.
I have used them in the last two planes and am very satisfied.
Also, they use a long lasting CO sensor.

Mike, I have this same detector in my -12. Do you have the aural output wired into the music input of the GTR-200? I had to disconnect my audio output due to a constant “popping” noise I was getting. After several back and forths with Flight Data Systems, they were able to duplicate the issue. The noise is coming from the Xponder. It’s radiated, not conducted, noise, as numerous ferrite beads applied to all wiring into the GD-40 produced no change in results. They’re working on a Faraday cage solution. Curious to know if I’m alone with this issue.

Aithre EX 3.0

I have the same handheld CO unit from Amazon and used it for several years. It's a nice, low cost option.

However, for my RV-10, the unit I've installed is an Aithre EX 3.0, which reads CO real time values, plus SpO2 (requires an addition sensor for the pilot) and also oxygen pressure (for your O2 tank if you have one), which all tie in nicely to any of the current EFIS systems. You can then customize and display values, along with any alarms you want to set.

I debated between the Guardian and the Aithre units, but for comparable money, the Aithre unit does more, and also has a nice iOS app as well.

I use the same CO detector and get almost identical results. Only time it ever got high enough to go off was when I was in line for departure at Oshkosh.

Mike, I have this same detector in my -12. Do you have the aural output wired into the music input of the GTR-200?

I do have the audio wired up, using a Flight Data System audio mixer into a Trig comm radio.

I have not had any issues with a popping noise.

It is all working fine, gives me an alert whenever I get to 10k' altitude also.

Does anyone have a 3D CAD file (STEP or other portable format) for the GD-40 CO detector?

I didn't see anything on the manufacturer's web site.

Back