What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Matco wheel bearings slinging grease

goatflieg

Well Known Member
During postflight inspection yesterday I noticed this. Not sure when it may have started; not noticed until this walkaround. These wheels have only seen some normal taxiing, one high speed taxi and five landings. The photo is of the left wheel; the right also showed signs of grease oozing past the seals but hadn't gotten enough out to fling onto the rims. Is this normal for new wheels? Should I be rechecking my bearing tightness? Any input on this output would be greatly appreciated.
AM-JKLXaSXp4TLQeg-ll0VHm7iv7v1iZDs6kCYZqUcRKtAyE0Kbu2BPUdpbIEBmpxfkkv5L1SEFSxiNiBarglXC9L3-8EXm8EudCrLDOM4tl1b9e9AAnrPOEI8kTmwFVGDnRImXuJmWkqiIXlMBS0zGquxyk=w900-h600

This looks like the newer rubber seals and It looks like the inner lip of the seal is not riding on the spacer, but rather forced inward. I would pull the nut and spacer to make sure the seal is seating correctly.

Mine did this too after first flight. I determined after asking some peeps on the forum that there was just likely too much grease. Now I keep it a little bit on the lower side and haven't had an issue. Basically, I don't pack them full anymore.

Mine did this too after first flight. I determined after asking some peeps on the forum that there was just likely too much grease. Now I keep it a little bit on the lower side and haven't had an issue. Basically, I don't pack them full anymore.
After jacking up the wheels, pulling the nuts and inspecting, it looked to me like the seals are seated correctly, so I was thinking the same thing. Wiped off the grease and two more landings showed no more seepage. I'll keep monitoring, of course.

After jacking up the wheels, pulling the nuts and inspecting, it looked to me like the seals are seated correctly, so I was thinking the same thing. Wiped off the grease and two more landings showed no more seepage. I'll keep monitoring, of course.

Exactly what I found too. Keep on keeping on!

P.S. congrats on first flight! I must have missed the post.

Back