What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to attach MotoPOD after hardpoint install?

sritchie

Well Known Member
Hey all,

For anyone who's installed the RV10 motopod - what's the process for installing the hooks that bind the pod to the plane? I'm installing the hardpoints now and I'd expected them to protrude from the bottom skin, but it looks like I'm just preparing the airframe for later installation.

Thank you!

Eventually, the brackets that are installed to hold the pod will protrude. These brackets are match-drilled to the hard points, as you suspected. The brackets are stainless steel.

Slightly deviating from the topic, but how did you manage to get your motopod hard points at all? I've tried several times to contact them and they just won't respond.

Does anybody know if David is still making these cargo pods, I?ve tried to reach out to them on Facebook and email and I haven?t gotten a hold of them. I?m interested in adding this particular feature I?m just not confident they?re still around if anybody has a line please shoot me a message.

Does anybody know if David is still making these cargo pods, I?ve tried to reach out to them on Facebook and email and I haven?t gotten a hold of them. I?m interested in adding this particular feature I?m just not confident they?re still around if anybody has a line please shoot me a message.

I talked to David in 2017 or 2018 (can't remember now) and he said that they were still disrupted due to the move of their business. They were focusing on other product lines, and he didn't have a time frame for when they might restart the RV-10 pod product. I was hoping to find at least a set of hardpoints to install, but he said they had none left.

David is still around. The best way to get a hold of him is to call the phone number on the website and leave a message. It may take him a while to get back to you, but I would suspect he will. Last I heard, the motopod company was making more money selling pods for surveillance/scientific purposes. It might mean less attention on the experimental marketplace, but only David can answer that question. As far as I know, they are still providing the pod for the RV-10. I am ready to paint mine, so I've been pinging David for information about his experience with Zolatone, for the interior. Be patient. It's the norm for experimental vendors..

Got a hold of him today. He said they are out of hardware kits and not currently producing any more. Tooling is in storage. Plans are to eventually build a new shop/facility and resume production, but it could be a couple years. He said if that is the case, the retrofit after completion is not too bad. Sounds like we?re out of luck for now.

Maybe someone with the appropriate machines/know how should offer him to 3rd party the hardpoint kits using his design. :)

If anyone here has purchased a hardpoint kit for the MotoPod, do you have any pictures/sketches/documents you could share? I'm interested in the installation location, as I am close to putting the bottom skins on my fuselage and want to see where I would need access in the future, if I were to be able to get a set.

Also, if you have any detailed pics or sketches of the parts or installation, please share!

David should be able to shoot you a PDF of the instructions for the hard-point installation. That will show you the locations of interest. I know, that the hard-point kit is able to be retrofit to existing RV-10s too. In fact, the very first prototype that David did was to an already flying RV-10, so it certainly can be done later. If he isn't making the pods currently, then I'd imagine it'd be best to wait until he is before installing the hard-points. If he doesn't begin production again, it'd be a waste to just be carrying around the extra weight of the hard-points, for no good reason. I already have my MotoPod completed, although my RV-10 is not yet flying. I also have the MotoCycle that's specifically made for the pod, which I take for a ride every so often, for fun and to keep the bike in good working order. This summer I rebuilt the motor, because I was getting blow-by in the cylinder. Now it's got fresh rings, carb, flushed brake lines, new, heavy duty tubes and tires, and is all lubed and happy. The pod works great and will certainly be a great addition to the utility of the RV-10, once I'm able to get it flying. I'm almost finished with the doors (finally), so I will be getting my bird on its legs soon, then comes engine, prop and avionics.

David should be able to shoot you a PDF of the instructions for the hard-point installation. That will show you the locations of interest. I know, that the hard-point kit is able to be retrofit to existing RV-10s too. In fact, the very first prototype that David did was to an already flying RV-10, so it certainly can be done later.

Mike, thanks again for the reply. Do you have any photos of your hardpoint installation?

FYI, I talked with David of MotoPod a couple of weeks ago about pod availability. He is hoping to get production up and running again next year.

If you're interested in a pod, it might be worth reaching out to him to give him a little extra motivation to get it up and running again!

Back