What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First start

Rayh

Today was the day. Finally pushed the 12 out and fired it up. Started fine. Two issues though. After about 5 minutes, CHT left and right went above above 200 degrees. I shut it down before they got any higher. Also, right EGT on dynon not registering any temps. I pulled the top cowl off and everything appeared fine. I will dig further into troubleshooting tomorrow.

Just checked skyview. At static the right EGT is registering the temp. Apparently while running it is inop. Ideas????

Double-check all your two right-side EGT push-on connectors (the ones just forward of the firewall). The EGT connectors need a really good electrical connection.

I will check the connections. What procedure is used to purge the air from the coolant?

To purge my coolant system I bounced the plane around on the gear to shake loose the bubbles. I'm sure there's a technical term for it, but it escapes me!😀

I will do just that. I will bounce it around and make my neighbors think I've done went crazy. 😂

Can you confirm the two plastic plugs were removed from the radiator? These are black colored making it hard to see them just inside the metal intake and exit tubes of the radiator where the hose is clamped clamped on.

And congrats on getting to this stage of the build too! :) You'll be flying soon.

I went out bounced the plane around and also took the hoses off the radiator to ensure I didn't leave the plugs in it. The plugs had been removed and the radiator was full of coolant.
Performed another start up. Within minutes, the CHTs raised to over 200 degrees and kept climbing.
Still no solution. Maybe water pump? Not sure on a brand new engine.

Any chance there is a temperature indication issue? It's unlikely both probes would be bad, but maybe there is a calibration issue in the engine monitor.

The water pump is a bit difficult to get to due to clearances. This sounds strange, but you could pull the spark plugs, disconnect a cylinder return hose and spin the engine with the starter to see if you have coolant flow. It would be easier than trying to get the pump out.

I want to thank everyone for their help. I worked at getting the hose housing off the water pump to make sure the impeller was operating. Better safe than sorry. All was good there.
After draining the system a couple times and bouncing the plane to release air it worked. Temps stay around 170-180 on the ground.

Back