What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Long time lurker. New member.

Greetings everyone! I have been a long time lurker on this forum. My father has been a long time builder of an RV-6A slider. He has grown too old to finish the project and has passed it on to me to finish. (Doug, I paid $50.00 dues today. That's $25.00 for long time lurking and $25.00 for this year as I will now begin actively posting and using the forum.) The project is very well along. The sheet metal has to be 95% done. All that I see remaining is the fuse bottom skins and the turtle deck. Both wings, fuselage and all control surfaces appear to be 100%. I have the wings in a cradle in my garage. The fuse is sitting right side up on a piece of soft 1" polystyrene foam on top of a 6' folding plastic table. I have had this thing for a few years now. I have overcome some challenges to my health and it's time now to get building on this thing! I need to find a starting point. I was going to go through the plans and instructions and compare that to my dad's builders log as a sort of inspection process. Could someone help me out by helping me understand if I need to make a build table and get it flipped back over? Or is it past that stage? Also the bulk heads for the turtle deck area are flopping around and I have no clue as to how those get stabilized and match drilled to the turtle deck skin. That is enough embarrassing dumb questions for one day..

If you added your location to your profile, I'll bet there are people in your area who would be glad to mentor you.

Your lucky on several accounts. One, the prior builder is your dad so hopefully he?ll be able to answer some build questions for you. Second, he passed a significant project both in cost and work down to you. Therefore he believes your ready and willing to complete this challenge. Finally, the bond between father and son just grew even more.

Welcome to RV ownership. It?s an elite group.

Next steps...

Welcome to the VAF forum!

I would suggest getting a Van's practice kit and assembling that to get some skill developed before working on the actual parts. This will give you several skills such as layout and the all important riveting skills.

After that, if it goes well (I did two before I got the hang of driving rivets) you might consider the fuse bottom skin next. Leave the turtle deck un-riveted until you consider what might want to go into the rear fuselage before you cover it.

I have seen the tip to use tape (duct tape?) to hold spacing. Run a strip along the top of the bulkheads when you layout and drill. Of course remove before riveting as you can then align the holes.

Mark

Greetings everyone! I have been a long time lurker on this forum. My father has been a long time builder of an RV-6A slider. He has grown too old to finish the project and has passed it on to me to finish. (Doug, I paid $50.00 dues today. That's $25.00 for long time lurking and $25.00 for this year as I will now begin actively posting and using the forum.) The project is very well along. The sheet metal has to be 95% done. All that I see remaining is the fuse bottom skins and the turtle deck. Both wings, fuselage and all control surfaces appear to be 100%. I have the wings in a cradle in my garage. The fuse is sitting right side up on a piece of soft 1" polystyrene foam on top of a 6' folding plastic table. I have had this thing for a few years now. I have overcome some challenges to my health and it's time now to get building on this thing! I need to find a starting point. I was going to go through the plans and instructions and compare that to my dad's builders log as a sort of inspection process. Could someone help me out by helping me understand if I need to make a build table and get it flipped back over? Or is it past that stage? Also the bulk heads for the turtle deck area are flopping around and I have no clue as to how those get stabilized and match drilled to the turtle deck skin. That is enough embarrassing dumb questions for one day..

When I built my first which was a 6 back in the late 90's, I used a couple of 1/4 inch all threads with nuts and washers to hold the bulkheads in place while drilling..... Just another way.

If you added your location to your profile, I'll bet there are people in your area who would be glad to mentor you.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Also, join your local EAA chapter. One of their members has built an RV and can help you out.

Get 'er done so you can take Dad for a ride!

Definitely let us know where you are located. It would be great if another builder could come take a look and help you get started. Id be hapoy to if you are in Dallas area.

Back