What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Building the RV-8 fuselage is really fun and fast!!!!!!!!

AirbusPilot

Well Known Member
Hi All,

Two week ago I stared building the fuselage. Empenage was like 4 month, wing 9 month. But look what I have in two week!!!!!. Building the fuselage have been the best parts of the project, maybe because now I am seeing that finish my RV-8 is not so far away. Next week Van's is sending me finish Kit, a Lycoming XIO-360 and my hartzell prop:D

OK my goal is to have the fuselage on the wheels on November, then two month for finish kit and two month for installing everything(avionics, engine, etc).

My wife is pregnant and the baby is coming on March so my plane should be ready, I will need time to change pampers:p

Wish me luck

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1408/img0112qi6.jpg

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/919/img0113ru2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Way faster than me.

Good show! You're moving much quicker than me. The RV8 -1 fuselage kit is well done and fairly quick - I wouldn't even consider a QB at this stage in my life with kits like this. I am right at 2 yrs since I started my RV-8 and probably have 2-3 yrs left. Have fun!
Here's my fuselage upside down in preparation for final riveting.

FP28092008A00007.jpg

Instrument access panel

If I were you...... I'd remove the forward cargo compartment's aft bulkhead, and build a access door the opens into the forward cargo compartment. This door will give you access to the rear of the instrument panel. I don't know why Van did not design that into the RV-8, but many of us are glad we did it!

Oh Yeah

If I were you...... I'd remove the forward cargo compartment's aft bulkhead, and build a access door the opens into the forward cargo compartment. This door will give you access to the rear of the instrument panel. I don't know why Van did not design that into the RV-8, but many of us are glad we did it!
Ditto to what Danny said!!! The mod is easy and you and your back will be very glad to have the access while standing outside the airplane! I left the bottom of the upper skin unprimed just to enhance reflectivity and even considered the utility of installing a simple "service light." :)

Lots of Clecos

If you don't have at least 500-3/32 and 300-1/8 Clecos, order them now. you are going to need them soon. Ask me how I know.

Amen to that!

Here's mine!

FP16052008A0000A.jpg

FP07082008A0000H.jpg

Prop blade

Ken,
Actually it is from a DC-3. A good friend of mine who flew them for a living gave it to me. I plan to restore it some day - after the RV is done!

Hey Brent, regarding your front baggage access door. You will have to add a tang to the bulkhead to rivet the baggage door support brace to and then notch the access door you made to clear it. It's not a bid deal and I would wait until it's time to mount the brace before I worried with it. Rick Galati has a photo on the home page to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Looks like your doing a great job, keep pounding.

Bill,
Yep, I cheated and copied Rick's design pretty closely so I should be able to accomodate that brace when the time comes. Thanks for the heads up though.
Regards,

I will Thanks

If you don't have at least 500-3/32 and 300-1/8 Clecos, order them now. you are going to need them soon. Ask me how I know.

I have to asked to a friend (who is building an RV-8 too) to lend me a couple of hundred clecos and I ended up using 600-3/32 and 300-1/8

Last edited:
Rick- Do you have a builder's website?
Jim,

I tried to develop a builders website for a brief time but am hopelessly computer challenged and it was just too labor intensive for me. I could never figure out how to present information with the look I wanted. Others are far more at home in cyberspace and I'd rather "build" than spend hours trying to develop and maintain a website. Besides, Doug provides us with the very best RV forum in existence and I was determined to at least figure out how to post some pictures. Now that I can do. :)

Last edited:
RV8 Forward Fuselage riveting

I made a stand using the engine mount attach points to enable the fuselage to be riveted vertically. Much easier on the body.

Attachments

• DD3462AB-2F16-4380-B93B-FCA631997DC4.jpeg
    DD3462AB-2F16-4380-B93B-FCA631997DC4.jpeg
    513.2 KB · Views: 135
I made a stand using the engine mount attach points to enable the fuselage to be riveted vertically. Much easier on the body.

Nice idea!

Please consider doing the gear tower mod to provide access inside the gear towers. Better now than never.

Back