What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque values bolts and nuts RV12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still confused about the torque values. I read about the difference between tenson and shear type nuts. I would like to know the values for the common used hardware in a RV 12 project.

As an extra complication: in the Netherlands torque values are expressed in Nm

Just a quick note on fasteners used in aircraft design… Bolts installed in shear are not critical for nut torque. Bolt diameter is the controlling factor in a shear application.

Bolts installed in tension almost always are susceptible to a minimum torque requirement. Bolts in tension are torqued so that applied loads remain below the tension force applied by the torqued nut. This prevents the bolt from seeing cyclical loads that may be above the yield strength. Many applications see both tension and shear such as bolts holding prop hub to the engine flange. In this case, with the correct torque, the flange bolts do not see any cyclical load and they remain happy…

....Bolts installed in shear are not critical for nut torque....

Except that frequently torque is used to generate the fastener preload to make enough friction to prevent slippage. If the hole is bigger than a line to line fit, this is likely the case.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back