Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2021, 02:45 PM

Default How many actually trailer their RV12 to the airport regularly?

As the title ask, how many folks regularly trailer their RV12 back and forth from home to the airport? I live in Nashville TN where there is no hanger space and years long waiting list. So, is it even practical to consider trailering and storing the RV12 in said trailer? Is the RV12 built for this? Will it tolerate the wings off/on regularly? I will be able to store the plane at my house as I do not live in a subdivision. Thanks for the advice!

Mike
Old 12-09-2021, 05:12 PM

Mike, At least in my area of CA the waiting lists for hangars are often a couple of year or at least they are quoted as such. My suggestion is to get on the lists. While they may be many people ahead of you people often pass because they are not quite ready or they need a specific type of hangar. In my current location at LVK I was in a similar situation to you. I put my name on the list, paid the small fee and started waiting. It actually only ended up being a few months. I know of another builder who passed a couple of times because he wasn't quite ready to make the move from his garage. At any rate those are my suggestions.
Sensenich Composite 3 Blade Propeller
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 12-09-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashpdman View Post
As the title ask, how many folks regularly trailer their RV12 back and forth from home to the airport? I live in Nashville TN where there is no hanger space and years long waiting list. So, is it even practical to consider trailering and storing the RV12 in said trailer? Is the RV12 built for this? Will it tolerate the wings off/on regularly? I will be able to store the plane at my house as I do not live in a subdivision. Thanks for the advice!

Mike
Doing so was something I seriously considered. Luckily hangar space came available!

These are light planes and require indoor storage so hopefully you have a barn or your garage has a higher door opening.
RV-12iS
N121SF
E-LSA
iRMT & LSRI
Donated
Old 12-09-2021, 07:27 PM

Since the wings can be removed fairly easily, you might be able to squeeze it into a hangar that already has another plane in it. I think that would be better than transporting it on a trailer every time you want to use it.

VAF donation made for 2022
Old 12-10-2021, 08:00 AM

If I were to trailer the airplane, I would buy an enclosed trailer and customize it to fit. The plane could then be stored out of the weather and protected by the trailer. I understand the rudder is fairly tall which would require some custom trailer mods to allow loading. Really more concerned about taking the wings on/off regularly. I saw one post stating modification may have to be made to keep from banging up the skins around the connecting points.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:03 AM

VERY, VERY few. Many people intend to do this, but soon find that it is not practical.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 12-10-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
VERY, VERY few. Many people intend to do this, but soon find that it is not practical.
Oh dear, I hope I don't fall into that group. It was my plan since it will make maintenance easier.
Old 12-10-2021, 11:20 AM

If you put it in a trailer, can you park the trailer on the field? Many gliders are stored like that. Avoiding towing the trailer would be more convenient and if you could park in a place that you could taxi from it would work better.
Old 12-10-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Agreed... I'd consider it a waste of my time, each and every time, unless absolutely necessary for inspection. Takes 2 people to remove and put back on, each side. One wiggles the wing and presses it inward, hard, against the seal, while the other inserts the pin.

"Time to Spare, go by Air."

Last edited by NinerBikes : 12-10-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinerBikes View Post
Agreed... I'd consider it a waste of my time, each and every time, unless absolutely necessary for inspection. Takes 2 people to remove and put back on, each side. One wiggles the wing and presses it inward, hard, against the seal, while the other inserts the pin.

Agree, it's waste of time and pretty much eliminates easy quick flights. However, remember there are no hangers available so it may be the only option until a hanger comes along. You'll also save the $$ on hanger space so I guess that's a trade off. End game is to have a hanger, just aren't any right now.