What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reasonable hangar cost?

Morton Buildings
60'x104'x16'=6240 sq ft pole barn
R-19 in walls and R-38 blown in insulation in the ceiling
Basic lighting circuits and outlets
Cost: 186k, 30k of that is a hydroswing door. Comes out to $30 a sq ft. Does this seem reasonable?

Not included
Site prep
Concrete slab
Radiant floor heat (pex, boiler, etc)
Tap off existing well and tie into existing septic
Plumbing stub outs for kitchen and bath

I'd also like to add a large overhead door on the other side large enough to fit an RV/Boat. Epoxy floor later on when funds available. Do the kitchen and bath work myself one day. I considered having the amish do the pole barn since I hear good things about their work, but I'm not confident about their knowledge of hydroswing doors, boilers and radiant heat, etc...

Last edited:
Can't speak to the price, but I do know the business. Top notch customer service and they treat their people well. There was a guy I worked with there celebrating his 50th year in their accounting department.

When I built both of my hangars, I got quotes from Morton.
Both times they were waaaayyyy out of line on price compared to all steel buildings.

My first hangar, 1990, 40' X 60', was from Tyler Building Systems @ $10,050 delivered but not erected. Did that myself with a few friends.
Second, 2003, 45' X 50', came from "Red Dot Buildings" @ $12,500.

Both hangars included one personnel door, insulation, 10' roof vent and framing for the 40' door.

I'm looking at building a hangar myself. Having heard good things about R & M Steel in Idaho, I used their online instant quote tool to spec a 40'x50' hangar with an opening for a big door on the long end. The cost of materials they quoted ended up being around $20k, delivered. I'm not sure what the cost to have it put up would be, but that seems way off from your quote.

Last edited:
Maybe check into a "Lester" building? Very comparable to a Morton, minus the higher cost.

I've been pricing up 60x60's and over here in BFE that $30/SF would also include the floor.... Another $3-4/SF in floor heat and insulation and another $1-4/ SF for Electrical power and lighting. Bare bones $85k with a floor and upwards of $125k with heat, insul, interior liner panel, that's on a 60x60 Foltz (Mortons Local competition) but similar construction. Mortons quote was $60k bare bones with no floor.

Price point, started building January 2015.

48x48x14 pole building with commercial girts. 1 window, 2 walk thru doors and 1 8x10 roll up door. Kit price was $14200. Erected by local crew was $9500. So as it sits here, about $24000. $~11/sqft we brought about $3000 of dirt to bring up the grade after this pic

Added a 44x12 HPDoor. $12000 installed and sheeted

Spray foamed the walls(they get sheeted next fall), tin ceiling, radiant heat floor, 12x20 studio apt, 8x12 full bath/utility room. and electrical. Was roughly another $12K.

We have maybe $55k in the hangar up to this point. Mostly using it for construction storage right now and....
We are staying in the apt while building the loghouse. Here's the Coffee view

Retirement home is almost done. Kris and I are staining, installing trim, laying tile, wiring lights etc...but should be done in a month.

Started building a vanity last week

I built this 60x42 with 16' lean-to six years ago for 84k. I did everything myself including the 38' hydraulic door and 42x20 living quarters. Someone else to build it probably add 33% to 50%. I did hire a cement crew to build the cement forms and finish the cement and a few local High School boys to help me from time to time. I checked on steel prices a week ago and they haven't gone up very much in six years. A large percent of my costs were stove, refrigerator, water heater, and heating and air conditioning for the living area. It was not a kit. I made a complete materials list and sent it to three companies to bid out. Mueller's came in the lowest at about 25% less than their advertised prices.

29v08w7.jpg

I just recently got a quote for a pole-barn type building from Cleary Buildings in western CO. Approximately $15/sq foot for the building (erected on-site) with no floor or $20/sq foot erected onsite including a 4" concrete slab floor (the slab is poured after the building is erected, so it is a floating floor). That did NOT include the cost of doors (hangar, mandoor, or garage door at the far end) or windows.

Just another data point.

Greg

We're in the process of building a 30'x40' shop and got a quote recently from Morton for a bare shell as you describe, $65K.

Back