What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy latch warning

dbenoit

My new to me, 2015 RV12 just started warning me that the latch was not secured. Visually, that was incorrect. Just looking for some quick troubleshooting advice... Thanks! Dave

I’d start by checking the switch on the roll bar. Operate it manually and see if your warning light goes off. It may have slipped out of adjustment.
It’s a simple enough circuit, not a lot to fail.
Cheers, DaveH
120485:)

Mine does the same. The latch has just enough play in it to intermittently break the contact and so far adjusting it hasn't permanently fixed the problem. it's just a nuisance, and on the list of things to do. I've discovered that there's always something that needs fixing on a plane!

Better than my experience a few years ago - pre warning system.

Doing the flight test/fly off for the owner (not builder). Unbeknown to me, he thought the canopy handle was too stiff, so he turned it through 180°.

You know what's coming.

I did the next flight and at about 110kts, the canopy came open. To be honest, no big deal, close the throttle, see where the canopy was floating - within reach.

Now, if you have seen the stage funny - Balloon Dance with the 3 naked fellows and some balloons - that is where I was. 2 hands and 3 needed.

Eventually locked the throttle at idle and did a glide approach.

Stern words with the owner, called it in to Vans and the LAA and I think that started the process of the warning system.

Back