What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Systems before side skins?

Rick RV-4

Well Known Member
Howdy all,

Getting close to drilling and riveting the side skins on to my slow build fuselage. Just looking, it sure seems like it would be easier to install a lot of the systems prior to having the skins on there. Things like the fuel lines, brakes, flap motor, etc.

Is this a bad idea? Has anyone else done it this way, and would you do it differently next time?

Thanks in advance,

Rick
Super slow build RV-10

I respectfully disagree with Carl.

I drilled the skins in place on all of my projects, then set them aside while building the seats, floor boards, controls, etc. and temporarily installing as much of the systems as possible. I

t's fine to cleco the skins you're not working around in their place. When one is in the way, just remove it during the work.

Then I removed everything, painted the interior, and installed the stuff permanently. If I dinged the paint, I touch it up and move on.

YMMV.

Last edited:
Adding to Vince's suggestions. I used some scrap & drilled some temp partial side panels (narrow strips & such using the drilled side skins as templates) that would tie longerons & bulkheads in place to preserve structural dimensions while you are working inside, but still provide easy access for fabricating sub systems in bottom if fuselage. Pre-fitted systems components were a snap to install after side skins were final riveted.

Last edited:
Back