What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Went Shopping 2

Vlad

Well Known Member
Very recently I?ve moved. My village doesn?t a grocery store residents usually drive to either Vernal or Green River WY to shop. I looked at the map checked the turbulence forecast and decided to fly to Lander KLND. Road to my airport was passable.

I trumped a drift over taxiway with my car

checked the runway

and put the preheater to work.

Stayed lower to avoid the turbulence.

I had to climb to 10 thousand to hop over a pass.

Took a little beating :D

It was calm and smooth over Lander.

Pretty little town.

Good fuel prices. Courtesy car. It took me twenty minutes max to get my groceries.

Road back was a bit bumpy.

This is Green River Intergalactic Spaceport.

The grocery run was a quick three hours hop. Both ways. Will repeat in two weeks :D

That is not enough food to survive for 2 weeks. This summer I hope to come on resupply mission.

Vlad think you'll need to upgrade your 9A with some larger tires!

I once stopped for gas at an airport in Utah and the nice young lady living at the airport with her husband said the nearest grocery was 80 miles away.

Missing you back East!

Vlad - we are missing you back east! Agreed - from Bayonne to Utah! Great job following your "True North" my friend!

That is not enough food to survive for 2 weeks. This summer I hope to come on resupply mission.

Good idea. Bring me that marked medicine bottle too :D

Jeff%20Scott%20-%201%201.jpg

We miss you in Pa

First time I met Vlad was at Sentimental Journey where we went in search of historic mail route towers. Then at places like Northumberland (cheap fuel) and Wyoming Valley (good diner across the street).
We?ll miss you back East 😪

Jim Diehl 7A

Among your groceries I see a bottle of wine. You flew to Wyoming, bought wine, and flew back to Utah? Is that allowed?

Isn?t the Vernal airport a little (lot) closer? Oh, I know, that would cut down on the flying time............ :)

Among your groceries I see a bottle of wine. You flew to Wyoming, bought wine, and flew back to Utah? Is that allowed?

It’s for cooking Steve. Utah customs allows one bottle a month if you are of Russian descent.

Isn’t the Vernal airport a little (lot) closer? Oh, I know, that would cut down on the flying time............ :)

Andy Vernal has a very unique weather. It was soaked in fog for days. Plus the mountain ridge between us creates unpassable for RV turbulence. That’s in Jan/Feb they say it’s nice in the summer.

First time I met Vlad was at Sentimental Journey where we went in search of historic mail route towers. Then at places like Northumberland (cheap fuel) and Wyoming Valley (good diner across the street).
We?ll miss you back East 😪

Jim Diehl 7A

Good memories Jimski! Say hi to Carl I need him here on the runway for elk abatement :D

I have over 500 hours flying with Vlad , I assure you he can survive on two eggs and a loaf of bread for a month ...
Vlad , did you ever tell the story of the 3 day old pizza over Newfoundland and Labrador ?

I have over 500 hours flying with Vlad , I assure you he can survive on two eggs and a loaf of bread for a month ...
Vlad , did you ever tell the story of the 3 day old pizza over Newfoundland and Labrador ?

Yaman that?s was quite a ride to France. Won?t be possible without you. That three day pizza was tasty. :D

My goodness, how do you get around on such an old fashioned instrument panel ? Is it safe to fly like that ? :)

Now that you're free, it's just a hop, skip and jump from southern Colorado. Last time I landed the -4 in Lander was 29 years ago.

Cheers, Hans

Send me your new address and I'll send you a preheater duct. It will not scratch your paint.

Last edited:
Awesome

Vlad, you moved out west! I'm so envious! As you know, my favorite place to fly -- Green River, southern Utah, Rockies -- best flying in the world! You are living the dream, my friend.

Vlad, you moved out west! I'm so envious! As you know, my favorite place to fly -- Green River, southern Utah, Rockies -- best flying in the world! You are living the dream, my friend.

A lot of Wild West destinations are from your travel stories Bill. Let me know of your next coming. I owe you one :)

Witness Protection?

That looks like a place they would put you in the witness protection program. However, you are much closer to God's country now, so don't be a stranger. Or maybe we will drop in on you, bring our own groceries.

It?s Witless PP

That looks like a place they would put you in the witness protection program. However, you are much closer to God's country now, so don't be a stranger. Or maybe we will drop in on you, bring our own groceries.

Hey Bryan I can?t catch you since 2014. How is Goodbye Girl? You spend a lot of time with Miss Montana :D

Well, we did the Hudson River flight in Miss Montana. You taught me well.
Back in Missoula so come see us.

AAHHH...

Utah...what a great place to fly, read some very good stories by Edward Abbey, who spent time as a Ranger at Arches National Park. My favorite place to visit.
Hope to get out to Colorado for my 80th birthday in May...keep aviatin' Vlad...:)

Colorado

Hope to make it out around May 7th or 8th to Grand Junction, our youngest daughter is a Physician there. Hope to spend about a week in the area. Not sure how firm trip is at this point. I'll keep you posted

Vlad next time your in Lander make sure you hit Gannett grill or Cowfish for some grub. Great food

Last edited:
Back