What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming Engines Vans Fly-In/Tour

Nived17

Good morning and Merry Christmas VAF-ers!

My name is Devin Albrecht and I am organizing a fly-in at IPT. I have coordinated with my new employer at Lycoming Engines 652 Oliver St, Williamsport, PA 17701 for a tour. I have locked in the date for the tour with marketing as May 15th, 2020. The current plan is an arrival on Thursday May 14th in the afternoon/evening and then a plant tour of the engine shop and manufacturing facility on May 15th. Those choosing to fly into KIPT will have ramp space at the available for the weekend for as many airplanes as we cant fit at no charge (bring tiedowns and chocks). Overflow and hangar requests can check in with Energy Aviation. I would also encourage an evening out on the town Friday night in Williamsport followed by maybe a fly-out to breakfast Saturday morning.

I have also arranged for a tour stop in the Lycoming Thunderbolt build area, known to us as the ATC, to see the custom engine shop not typically seen during tours. This portion of the tour will only be permitted to US Citizens.

This is going to have to be a group effort for sure depending on the size of the group. I am organizing the majority of this on my own in my free time. It is important to note that Williamsport is a small Pennsylvania town. Ground transportation will have to be a coordinated effort as well between those driving and those flying. Once we have a rough number, going into the spring, I can coordinate further. It is suggested to look into lodging options as soon as

Doug will be making a post in the VAF calendar so that the date is posted and it is possible that we may even have some Mother Ship representation.

I kindly ask you to RSVP to my email: [email protected] using the subject "VAF Lycoming Tour RSVP" Please RSVP ONLY if you will be joining us for the tour and also let me know if you will be flying in. If you are a "Maybe" or "interested" please save me the email traffic and only RSVP once you can definitely make the commitment.

Happy owner to an RV-4!!!

Last edited:
Touring Lycoming is a Great Experience. Rich and I toured the plant back in 2003 when we picked up our 0-360-A1A. After the tour, they loaded up our new engine all ready to go. On the way back to Wisconsin, we stopped in Piqua, OH to pick up our brand new Hartzell prop and toured there, too. Very worthwhile.

Roberta:)

XIO-320 engine

Hi Devin,
I read on this website today about an "XIO-320 (360 case, 320 cylinders, angled valve, fuel injected" engine.

I built an angle valve IO-320 in 2016 using 8 cylinders to end up with the ones I used....fit on a wide deck case.

Is there such an engine now being produced? It is a great combination, if available.
Thanks

Hey I know that RV-4!

Hi Devin,
I read on this website today about an "XIO-320 (360 case, 320 cylinders, angled valve, fuel injected" engine.

I built an angle valve IO-320 in 2016 using 8 cylinders to end up with the ones I used....fit on a wide deck case.

Is there such an engine now being produced? It is a great combination, if available.
Thanks

Hey there! I know your airplane and it?s new owner Nikki quite well. We were just discussing your engine. No such engine exists direct from Lycoming. That?s not to say that if you contacted us that we wouldn?t build it in the Thunderbolt ATC. I?d love to hear more about what you used and what the pitch is on your catto prop. 👍🏼

Our group reached out to them 3 weeks ago or maybe a bit longer ago and they indicated then that it was likely going to be rescheduled.

Back