What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric Aileron Trim Adaption on RV-4

Clouddancer

Well Known Member
As we plan to fly with Avgas in one tank and Mogas in the other, we will not use fuel evenly from both tanks. So we thought that aileron trim would be a good idea. We have a 4-way hat switch on the pilot stick for electric elevator trim. This led us to the idea to install as well an electric aileron trim system.
See former thread: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=86892&highlight=RV-8+aileron+trim

I liked the idea of the RV-8 aileron trim system with the springs, which does not need a trim tab and will prevent the ailerons from dangling in light wind. After I convinced my friend Markus, we ordered the RV-8 aileron trim kit from Vans.

After having a closer look at the system, we found some points that we did not like:
- Cotter pins to attach the springs to the aluminum rod
- Drilling holes in the push rod to rivet the attachment bracket
- Sliding of springs on the attachment bracked during rotation of the push rod

So we came up with the following solution:
- Stainless steel rod of slightly smaller diameter with brazed lugs for the springs
- Brazing the attachment bracket to a stainless steel hose clamp
- Brazing two small sections of tubes to the attachment bracket (for a defined position of the springs without sliding during rotation)

13989052820_bbb9a39a1c_z.jpg

Brazing the bracket to the hose clamp

13989046299_1b45d6e1d3_z.jpg

Modified installation in stainless steel

13989066428_c62b002abd_z.jpg

Trial fit in aircraft

…might be a bit over-engineered, but we feel much better with this solution ;-)

Last edited:
Back