What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VIRB Elite Wing Mount First Flight

N411TW

This is the first video my daughter and I created using a wing tip mount for the Garmin VIRB Elite. I have it set for 1080p with a wide angle setting and even in HD youtube degrades the images considerably :mad:

PRO (vs. GoPro): Built-in lcd display, longer battery life, water resistant case, built in sensors (look in right hand corner of video for overlay)

CON: The unit continually lost connectivity with my Garmin Pilot app and froze after 24 minutes of continual operation. When it freeze's, you have to remove the battery to reset it. I just upgraded to the latest version VIRB software and am hoping it corrects these issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUtvlrFK_Uc

photo

Do you have a photo of your wing mount? I'm thinking about getting a VIRB and want to see how you solved the outside the airplane mount problem.

VIRB Elite Wing Mount

Aaron-

I tried three different OTC wing mounts and didn't like any of them. In the end I simply drilled and countersunk two holes into one of the bases that comes with the VIRB and mounted it out on the wing tip. It works great and has been through quite a few adventures without any sign of fatigue. Here's a pic:
IMG_1875_zps1f194293.jpg

-Timothy

Any update on the VIRB going Tango Uniform after a few minutes of operation? Did the software update fix this?

At some point I will get an "action camera" and surely don't want to buy one with software that sounds as flaky as that of the Virb.

Any update on the VIRB going Tango Uniform after a few minutes of operation? Did the software update fix this?

At some point I will get an "action camera" and surely don't want to buy one with software that sounds as flaky as that of the Virb.

Hi I only have problems (2 times) with wi-fi but i use the remote control and the d2 watch without problems (bluetooth). I think that a new model will release because the price is dropping... from 399 to 290 in amazon so if you wait may be better its your choice.

All in all its very easy to use (better than gopro) but go pro has better hd quality.

Internal gps and no housing requiered was my option

Regards

I really want a VIRB, but will wait until:

1.) The video being recorded can be viewed live on a remote device.....like Garmin Pilot running on the tablet mounted on the panel.

2.) Bluetooth connection is available in addition to or a replacement to Wi-Fi.

Reading the comments on Garmin's general forum, sounds like those are the top 2 requests. I can understand the guys flying the drone's mounted with a VIRB and wanting to be able to view the recording video.....once they start recording, they can't see what's recording or how/where to fly the drone.

Virb remote video

As of the January Garmin Pilot update from this year you can remotely view and control your Virb from the Garmin Pilot app. The Virb already supports ANT connectivity for the Garmin remote and other small accessories which allows them to all sip power compared to the WIFI remote that the other guy's cameras use so I'm not sure what benefit the Bluetooth interface would be since it and ANT serve very similar functions. See below for the Jan update I was referencing.

http://garmin.blogs.com/pr/2014/01/...cements-to-ios-and-android-.html#.U_t2PW0dXdd

I've heard that there are issues with the connection dropping off, so I'm hoping a bluetooth connection would be more reliable.

Also, per Garmin: "The current VIRB does not support preview while recording." Yes, you can remotely view and control your VIRB from Garmin Pilot, but once you start recording, you no longer remotely view the video/what you are recording. Has this been fixed?

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?79949-View-Video-While-Recording

Virb remote video

Yes I believe that this is fixed in the update previously mentioned with regards to the functionality in Garmin Pilot. The link you reference is regarding someones desire to be able to view the recording video through the WIFI interface on the computer but as the linked article below indicates you can view the recording video and start/stop it as well as capture pictures through the Garmin Pilot app. I haven't personally tested this but it seems to be the case that the Garmin Pilot app can do these things.

I also wouldn't hold my breath for future Bluetooth connectivity seeing as Garmin owns Dynastream (see history of Dynastream link below) which are the makers of ANT and as previously discussed is serves very similar function to Bluetooth. This is of course speculation so take it for what it's worth, which is not much. :)

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...lot-app-shows-live-view-virb-elite-action-cam

http://www.thisisant.com/company/d1/history/

I haven't personally tested this but it seems to be the case that the Garmin Pilot app can do these things.

Thanks so much for the info. If you get a chance to test it out, let me know. I guess that's now the only thing keeping me from buying a VIRB (besides a newer model being released very soon?) as I want to be able to view the video on Garmin Pilot anytime, recording or not. :D

Timothy,
Have you connect the headset up to the Virb Elite for ATC & cockpit audio? I'm wondering if I can even find a 20" extension cable for this. I ordered a Virb yesterday and am waiting to see what I need once it arrives.

Input from others always appreciated.

Thanks

john

Last edited:

Mark-

After updating to the latest VIRB Elite version the prior defects have been corrected AND the functionality has been significantly enhanced.

-Timothy

Have you connect the headset up to the Virb Elite for ATC & cockpit audio?

John-
I have several cameras rolling simultaneously. I use the VIRB Elite out on the wing as I can control it remotely. I do have ATC/Intercom recordings via a different device, but I believe you can capture this through the VIRB Elite if you had it wired.
-Timothy

The video being recorded can be viewed live on a remote device

Robert-
You can display the real time feed from the VIRB Elite via the Garmin Pilot App or the VIRB app to your device. My TW buddy uses this when he's taxiing ;) However, once you begin recording the screen goes black until you stop recording.
-Timothy

However, once you begin recording the screen goes black until you stop recording.

Timothy- BIG THANKS for that confirmation. That is exactly what I have read when I researched it. Guess I'll wait until Garmin fixes that with a new model as that is important enough to me to prevent purchasing at this time. :D

Garmin VIRB Elite no audio

I'm having major audio problems with my VIRB it is not reliable records audio once every 10 videos, updated software, tried external microphone, purchased adapter and mic, still unreliable!! Any others having same problem!

Has everyone that successfully mounted the virb to the exterior used the clip in version or the waterproof dive case?

Trying to figure out what will not have a weak link (plastic) that may lose the camera especially if mounted to the belly

Back