What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best Diagonal Cutters (Dykes) for Stainless Cotter Pins and Hard Safety Wire

Master Designs

Well Known Member
I love 99% of my tools, but I need to get a good pair of diagonal cutters for cutting stainless cotter pins and 0.032" safety wire. I've got great cutters on my wire twisters, but I want a good pair of dykes to get in and trim the cotter pins shorter. My favorite diagonal cutters that get into small places are too weak and I've broken the jaw on 2 pairs. The stronger cutters are just too big and clumsy.

I'd like to try a pair from Knipex as I like their tools, but they just have too many models to pick from and I don't know which pair is strong enough for stainless wire but smaller in size.

Suggestions?

I would second knipex, I"m a mechanic and have a pair of 8" that are 12 years old and will still cut a penny in half after being used almost every day.

Klein. Red handle.

33 years old (my data point). Bought in 1983 as an apprentice journeyman electrician wiring apartment buildings in Waco, TX. Used weekly for something...have been in my 'go to first' tool drawer for most of my life. Google 'Klein Replacement Handles' for an upgrade mod (more surface area).

klein-d228-8.jpg

The lineman cutters are from the same purchase, and get used more, actually (heavier duty - more cutting leverage). https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/pliers/side-cutting-pliers

d2000-9netp.jpg

Last edited:
Back