What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone running a Dittel KTX2 Mode S Transponder (Encoder built-in)?

Master Designs

Well Known Member
It's fairly new, but curious if anyone has researched or installed the Dittel KTX2 Mode S Transponder? Looks to have the encoder built in? Pretty small and light. Thoughts?

Note that this is a Class 2 transponder and is not legal for ADS-B OUT after 2020 even if hooked to a compliant GPS.

Thanks dynonsupport for that info. I thought since it was 250w that it would work.

How about the Trig TT22? It's an all-in-one unit as well and would work in my application. Any reviews on the Trig TT22?

Any other options to look at for an all-in-one with a simple upgrade path for 202 requirements?

FYI.....can't use experimental components for this particular ship.

Note that this is a Class 2 transponder and is not legal for ADS-B OUT after 2020 even if hooked to a compliant GPS.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but can someone post the transponder class requirement for post 2020? I searched net for info and it returns pages ++++ of info but too many pages of other stuff to find this info (sorry to be lazy).

FAR 91.227:

(b) 1090 MHz ES and UAT Broadcast Links and Power Requirements ?

(1) Aircraft operating in Class A airspace must have equipment installed that meets the antenna and power output requirements of Class A1, A1S, A2, A3, B1S, or B1 equipment as defined in TSO-C166b, Extended Squitter Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) and Traffic Information Service-Broadcast (TIS-B) Equipment Operating on the Radio Frequency of 1090 Megahertz (MHz).

(2) Aircraft operating in airspace designated for ADS-B Out, but outside of Class A airspace, must have equipment installed that meets the antenna and output power requirements of either:
(i) Class A1, A1S, A2, A3, B1S, or B1 as defined in TSO-C166b; or
(ii) Class A1H, A1S, A2, A3, B1S, or B1 equipment as defined in TSO-C154c, Universal Access Transceiver (UAT) Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) Equipment Operating on the Frequency of 978 MHz.

The annoying thing is that TSO-C166B points to RTCA DO-260B, which is not a public document, so you can't get into the details of what it takes to be a specific class of transponder. This page does a good basic job:

https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/transponders.htm

Last edited:
Back