What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Edge Reinforcement Strip for RV 7A Canopy

Tcheairs

Well Known Member
Does anyone know of a source for a thin strip of polished stainless steer which could be installed across the rear edge of a RV7 flip up canopy? I broke a piece off of the right rear corner and it seems to me that the repair that makes the most sense would be a reinforcement strip going all the way across where the canopy rests upon the roll bar.

I'm not capable in getting into fiberglass work or painting. Seems to me that thin gauge polished steel would be easiest to work with.

Is is possible that Vans would have something like this?

Thanks

We don’t have anything and a straight strip of metal wouldn’t work.
Your best solution would be to mold a Fiberglass targa strip in place.

Metal...

If you have the skill, experience & english wheel(or a friend with all three) you can fabricate a set from .032 2024-T3...

The canopy aft edge follows a funky compound curve. Start big, work with wheel to "release" the tight spots, and then trim to final size...

Attachments

• IMG_1329.jpg
    IMG_1329.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1331.jpg
    IMG_1331.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 88
I made an aluminum strip for the forward edge of my slider canopy. Same concept as what you want to do.

I made a pattern using poster board. It was a long curved strip. It was interesting that something that appears to be straight is actually curve. I did mine during initial canopy fitting, so it is attached with the rivets that hold the plexiglass in place.

Back