What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Motor Problem

Thanks. Since the problem is intermittent it's hard to tell. Maybe a brush is sticking so it works now but not after 10 cycles? Maybe the relay deck is failing? I'm no expert but this is hard to trace since i don't have a hard failure. When they stick down a few bumps of the switch normally gets them going.

That's what I would expect.

flap motor gone bad

After 750 hours my flap motor quit on me. I disassembled it and cleaned it up where it worked twice before quiting again. Vans says replacements are 6 month backordered. Has anyone had any luck with alternate suppliers or have they tried the above referenced Usher Precision Co?

Paul

I replaced my flap motor as preventative Mx back in 2009 after reading Vans posted “Flaky Flap Motors “ article. Replaced it with PITTMAN 9234S004 motor, flawless operation with now 340 hrs on it.
I did discover while I had the motor and actuator disassembled that the Nylon Bearing block (DWG 26 RV-8) that holds WD-806 had excessive friction when I manually moved the flaps. I corrected the problem by removing nylon material from the block to allow easy rotation of the flap bar…you might consider checking this before you reassemble things. The combination of excessive friction and air loads while extending flaps in flight will eventually lead to another motor burn out failure.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Captain Paul Zimmerman
Zman
UAL B787 retired
USAF/CAANG retired
RV-8 builder/owner

sourcing a flap motor/actuator assembly

I need to replace my RV7 flap motor/actuator assembly but it seems to be unavailable Vans says its a 9 month backorder. The manufacturer, Usher Precision Manufacturing has a 6 month lead time. A/C Spruce has no idea what I'm even talking about. I'm sure every Vans model from 3 to 15 uses the same flap motor/actuator assembly, so how did they let their inventory get to this sorry state. I'm sick of hearing the same old "it's Covid, it's China, it's supply chain issues, etc." I'm not willing to let my plane sit for 6 months or so for lack of a simple part. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Yes, I can fly the plane with no flaps but I fly out of a fairly short field and feel much more comfortable with flaps.

I need to replace my RV7 flap motor/actuator assembly but it seems to be unavailable Vans says its a 9 month backorder. The manufacturer, Usher Precision Manufacturing has a 6 month lead time. A/C Spruce has no idea what I'm even talking about. I'm sure every Vans model from 3 to 15 uses the same flap motor/actuator assembly, so how did they let their inventory get to this sorry state. I'm sick of hearing the same old "it's Covid, it's China, it's supply chain issues, etc." I'm not willing to let my plane sit for 6 months or so for lack of a simple part. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Yes, I can fly the plane with no flaps but I fly out of a fairly short field and feel much more comfortable with flaps.

It doesn’t make any real difference what the excuses (or reasons) might be - if the companies can’t supply you an actuator, they can’t supply you an actuator…right? I mean - they are in business to make money, so why wouldn’t they if they could?

But you do have an option - VAF’er Pat Hatch has a replacement flap actuator (https://phaviation.com/ ) that fits most RV models (I think). It would get you out of the Usher line….

I use a similar actuator (sourced on the internet years before Pat was selling his) in our RV-3. Works great!

Paul

Flap motor problem

Thank you Paul and all who contributed to helping me with my flap motor problem. After giving up on finding a replacement motor/actuator, I took the old one apart. I thoroughly cleaned everything and bent the spring that holds the brushes, to apply more force/contact,, my problem was solved.. I don't know if it was the cleaning or the brushes spring that did the trick,but all is well now.

But you do have an option - VAF’er Pat Hatch has a replacement flap actuator (https://phaviation.com/ ) that fits most RV models (I think). It would get you out of the Usher line….

I use a similar actuator (sourced on the internet years before Pat was selling his) in our RV-3. Works great!

Paul

Thanks, Paul!

Just want to reiterate that we have plenty of the flap actuators in stock and also offer an installation kit for retrofitting our actuator into most of the single-digit RVs. The installation guidance is available on the web site.

I could not get my stock flap motor to work with my Vpx and G3X system. I called Pat and he sent me a unit and helped me get it set up and it works perfect. The customer service was top notch.

flap motor replacement

20 years later and I have an intermittent flap motor. I've cleaned out the grease per Van's manual. I've measured power coming from the rocker switch and it is solid and correct. But sometimes my flap motor won't move. Then later it does.

I'm looking for a replacement motor but why would it work any better? Mine is a 2005 vintage motor.

Then I found PH Aviation solution in this forum. I've looked at PH Aviation alternative flap motor system and just looking for concurrence that it will fit an existing RV-7A without major surgery. I can change the flap push rod length, but I don't want to change the enclosure envelop. I'm also using Dynon's power unit (similar to VPX) and wondering if it might be intermittent in sending power to the motor, but I don't think.

Any comments about the PH Aviation flap system would be appreciated.

Back