What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question for Steinair panel installers

TG777

I have been waiting to install my forward skin til my panel and avionics shows up from the builder.For those with a Stein installation was most of the equipment easily installed with the forward skin attached or would you wait. Also I am not particularly interested in installing the optional access panels.

I have been waiting to install my forward skin til my panel and avionics shows up from the builder.For those with a Stein installation was most of the equipment easily installed with the forward skin attached or would you wait. Also I am not particularly interested in installing the optional access panels.

Either Or - - If off, then you may do things that are not easily maintained from below. Once you finish, then it is harder to get both hands in the right position for performing the work.

I recommend designing for the under panel work and installing from above. It has worked well for me with corrections, upgrades and general changes. screws with nuts and washers should be avoided. Also slotted screws.

I learned that being able to reach, see and identify specific ground connections in the forest has value.

Just officially finished all we can do on a Stein panel install a few hours ago. Don't know what stage you are at in your build but when the panel and harness showed a few weeks ago the fuselage was just painted and still on the rotisserie. My first time working under the panel with it inverted and what a difference with the install. I've done six or more over the years doing all the harness work myself. this time we had a Stein harness but it still needs tweaking to make things fit properly . Two weeks involved working under there, no cuts, bruises or sore back.
Now to answer your question, yes it can all be done without the top skin off. We just did it , mind you inverted. As with you my friend didn't want all the screws showing that fasten the access panels. Servicing will require being on your back from today forward.

I installed all my equipment and cabling from Stein with the forward skin installed. Everything went in the open bay behind the panel. I wanted everything accessible. You still need to squeeze in on your back for some of the wiring (especially grounds) but it wasn’t too bad. I have a full IFR panel so I don’t imagine others would have much more equipment than I have. The front skin off wouldn’t have saved me much time.

………….. Servicing will require being on your back from today forward.

And that is a painful process (on my -9A slider) for sure. If I was starting from scratch, I would definitely go modular. Not familiar with the Stein panel, but I’d be looking hard at the Advanced Panel from Advanced Flight. That way, further work could take place in modular chunks, and subsequent panel additions could be wired on the bench and then just plugged in.

I wouldnt install the foreskin until the absolute last day possible. And then install the access panels. If you have any remote units like the transponder or VP-X, you will need to mount them on rails. Laying on my back working on stuff under the panel was the worst part of the entire build.

Attachments

• access 1.jpg
    access 1.jpg
    642.7 KB · Views: 242
  • access 2.jpg
    access 2.jpg
    687.3 KB · Views: 207
  • antenna3.jpg
    antenna3.jpg
    878.8 KB · Views: 257
+1 Access Panels

I'm not sure if I could have done it without the access panels and for sure trouble shooting the electronics much easier. I do have a crowded avionics design. (VPX, remote transponder and comm, B&C voltage regulators)

Depending on which brand equipment and component you will have, but for the RV14 specific and Garmin stuff, I am not sure if anything needs to be installed in that area. I have done two RV14s and installed everything with the top skin riveted.

Back