What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show Us Your Rocket Panel!

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Similar to the other thread regarding the plane, but here we're looking for detailed pics of the interior.

Best,

Blue Mountain all the way

panel5es.jpg

Uncluttered panels!!

Beautiful panels guys, but I am just curious. Do either of you have circuit breakers installed somewhere to protect those beautiful displays?

Jeff
-8 wings

Now that is how it should look.

My avionics bay looks like a college dorm after a frat party next to Randy's installation.

Really beautiful Randy :)

We just got ours back from my friend who placed our panel in his Laser etcher machine and then painted letters white, and then we put a coat of clear on.

92606040mc6.jpg

92606038sc1.jpg

Randy:

Do you have a bigger picture of your throttle quadrant and starter(?) switches. I've been thinking of setting my 4 up to either have the starter switches on the left, or possibly on the stick.

Not exactly my panel, but I wish it were!

Ok, so this isn't exactly my own panel, but it's one for a F-1 Builder - George Fisher. I feel like it's mine and it's in my shop, so that should be enough, right?!?! Anyway, excuse the poor picture quality (the photographer 'me' isn't too skilled)! It's actually a nice muted "Oxford White" and looks beautiful. Hopefully George will post some pics when he gets it in his plane...which shouldn't be too far away - especially if we can get it finished and sent out to him!

Cheers,
Stein.

gf1.jpg

Last edited:
looking for lipstick camera

I called GRT yesterday and I was hoping I could use
one of the sceens to view the taxiways. "Only USB port,
problem finding camera and drivers and then write software."
I don't want to Buy the unit from ACS; although I have room.
041407050xr2.jpg

Milt----Google "Rocketboy"

There is info there about his home built on board computer setup

Yep, Win XP. The previous system ran WIN98SE, and amazingly, never had a lockup of BSOD. I am very careful about installing software and install only the minimum components needed to run the system.

Wish me luck...knock knock...

Bob

Rocketboy these planes are never finished. There is always something to add or change. They only time they are finished for the builder is when you get rid of it. Then you start all over again. Nice job. I have being following your progress for a few years now.

You Go Rocketboy!

Finished at last!

Nice job RPG! Sa-weet, clean and simple (well to look at, I know it wasn't simple to get it all together!)

Great inspiration from the mentor (or was that tor-mentor!) :D

Hope to be a week or two behind ya! Way to go, bro!

Cheers,
RVM

Bob Mills
RV-6 "Rocket Six"
N600SS
Reno-Stead (4SD)

Been working on the HR3 for awhile now doing little attention to detail items and finally got the panel back together today.

Removed the A/I to save some weight, removed the AM/FM/CD player for obvious reasons, replaced the airspeed with a new UMA airspeed with HR3 speed markings, added grab handles to the panel to help get in and out easier, toggle switch covers, stick grip with 2" shorter stick and new placarding everywhere.

Rocketboy's Panel

That thing is awesome. It reminds me of what I did in my old CJ-7, except I just fabricated a mount for my laptop and strapped it in. Used a Garmin GPS-12 and loved all of the information that it gave me.

Do you have a list of hardware and software that you used for your panel? And is that a thumbdrive I see? What functionality do you get with the Windows based panel?

After flying my EVO 1 for three years I decided to upgrade my VFR panel to IFR status. I have flown with small back up instruments and find that they are a bit small for my eyes so I elected to keep some of my old stuff for backup. This meant that the stock panel would not really be big enough for what I wanted to do. The new panel is 1.5" deeper.
Additional equipment added are, Advanced Flight Systems 3500, Garmin 430W and a Garmin 240 audio panel.
As I am now totally dependent on electricity I needed a back up system. I considered a second battery but doing that and keeping weight down was a problem. I installed a standby alternator from B&C Specialties. This little unit will drive most of what I really need all day long which gives it a real advantage over a second battery that might only allow one to two hours depending on battery size. I have two electric busses that can be isolated and supplied with power from either alternator if required.
I have about 4 hours of flight with the new panel and I am very pleased with how well the EFFIS and the 430W work together. Stein Air was a key player in my decision process and were very helpful in the selection of the proper EFFIS for my needs. Kitchener Aero, an Ontario company, helped me through the selection, and purchase, of the proper radios and also provided great support as I rewired aircraft.
Upgrading the plane to IFR status was a challenging, but fun project. Upgrading the pilot is proving to be an even greater challenge!

Last edited:
That thing is awesome. It reminds me of what I did in my old CJ-7, except I just fabricated a mount for my laptop and strapped it in. Used a Garmin GPS-12 and loved all of the information that it gave me.

Do you have a list of hardware and software that you used for your panel? And is that a thumbdrive I see? What functionality do you get with the Windows based panel?

Hi,

I motherboard is a mini-itx system run winxp with no extras. Twin 4GB flash drives, mirrored for redundancy. The map software is Control vision Anywhere Map Pro. It does many tricks, and the upgrades come so frequently I can hardly keep up with it.

The software now drives the EFIS and Trutrak A/P via NMEA data.

It's pretty cool rubber banding the flight plan route around wx and watching the autopilot follow the new course.

The System also gets data from a USB XM WX works dual ensemble reciever for all the nexrad stuff.

It's working well, boots to a map in less than 30 seconds, shuts down in 12 seconds, and hasn't crashed in along time.

There is an alternate data interface so I can plug in my little hand held garmin in the event the map computer crashes, but so far hasn't been needed.

Quite happy with it.

Bob

Midnight Pearls Cockpit

Finally I found out how to post a picture, hurray ;)

I posted Midnight Pearl in `Show us your rocket`, here is the cockpit...

p1090418.jpg

p1090417.jpg

Garmin Stack, with
GNS 430 W
GMA 340
SL 30
GTX 330

two GRT HX displays with two AHRS, EIS, TruTrak Digiflight II VSVG,
Infinity stick, Klixon CB?s, Lightspeed Plasma Ignition. LED lightning inside and out (except that little tail light bulb, which I will use up first:)) On the right side low belongs a fire extinguisher, forgot to put it in.
There will be an article with better photos in the January 2011 edition of the fliegermagazin.
However, more details on request...

What are those bolt heads on your floor boards?

Quoting Tom Martin:
After flying my EVO 1 for three years I decided to upgrade my VFR panel to IFR status. I have flown with small back up instruments and find that they are a bit small for my eyes so I elected to keep some of my old stuff for backup. This meant that the stock panel would not really be big enough for what I wanted to do. The new panel is 1.5" deeper.
Additional equipment added are, Advanced Flight Systems 3500, Garmin 430W and a Garmin 240 audio panel.
As I am now totally dependent on electricity I needed a back up system. I considered a second battery but doing that and keeping weight down was a problem. I installed a standby alternator from B&C Specialties. This little unit will drive most of what I really need all day long which gives it a real advantage over a second battery that might only allow one to two hours depending on battery size. I have two electric busses that can be isolated and supplied with power from either alternator if required.

OK In your posted panel photo there are rows of screw heads on the floorboards just in front of the rudder pedals. Any pictures of what these mount below deck?

Those fasteners are for some sub floors that I have experimented with. It took two tries to get the floor that I wanted, hence two rows of pop rivets. I do not have any pictures but this mod really only works for the EVO wing.

Frank...that's REALLY nice - well done and good job!!! We just gotta get you a bezel for that EIS and it'll be perfect.

Cheers,
Stein

Heading home from Reno

Looks good to me!
f1boss
[/URL][/IMG]

Carry on!
Mark
PS yes it's dusty in Reno....

Cool - pic

Ok, that is one cool picture! Some interesting data to be seen too:

Cruising just under the flight levels at 209kts TAS sipping 10gph with your shoes off!!! I like it!

I like the "action" shots with the TAS, power settings, and GPH. Really shows the real world capabilities. Keep them coming!

Kyle

I'm almost ashamed to show my panel next to some of the others above, but here it is:

N540VF panel

Fuel flow isn't shown, but it's about 9-9.5gph at this power.

Thanks for the kind words.

The wrinkle finish is simply black wrinkle paint from a spray can.

I'm lazier now and would simply have the local powder coating shop put the same type finish on it if doing it again. The spray can finish can be unpredictable.

The sectional is sitting in an under panel tray. I've never seen anyone else use anything similar. It is great because I never have to hold the sectional in my hands and it's always right there.

The tray is completely below the panel with no protrusions. The map simply hangs out the front. Unseen are two springy strips of metal that hold the map gently so it won't slide out.

I added those because the acceleration of a full power takeoff will throw the map into my lap. Gotta love those Rockets.

Last edited:
Back