What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show Us Your Rocket!

Lee, that is exactly what I mean. The tube runs parrallel to the exhaust and sticks out about 2" aft of the bottom lip of the cowling. It seems to be working very well.

Another first flight

Have 11 hours on it now!
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Another Question For Tom

I have had some negative experience with this installation. On my rocket I was getting excessive oil on the belly, increased oil consumption and a few more minor leaks from the engine than I would have liked. I had been reducing the size of my cowling outlet air and thought that I must have created some more suction in that area. To test that theory I hooked up a water manometre to the dipstick tube and another one too the area above the engine plenum and another tube by where the crankcase vent dumped on to the exhaust pipe. The results were exactly opposite from what I was expecting. The crankcase is being pressurized relative a full 7" of water. Relative to the lower plenum it was about an inch higher. I spoke with knowledgeable engine guys at AirVenture, Bart Lalonde and Allan Barrett, and they both felt that the pressure would cause the problems that I was seeing.
I rerouted the vent aft of the cowling and now I have a -2" reading, or a slight vaccum. Since that time I have over 25 hours on the engine. The oil on my belly has decreased dramatically and all the minor oil leaks, particularily around the prop seal, have dissappeared. My oil consumption went from about 5.5 hours per quart to well over seven hours.
Based on my experience I could not reccomend venting the breather line into the lower cowling area. Oh, yea I do get two or three drops on my hangar floor now. That was the reason for venting the crankcase to the exhaust pipe in the first place but it is a bad tradeoff in my opinion.

Hi Tom.
I've been searching for this solution as I have the same problems you were having, but on my 8. Would you happen to have any photo's of how you routed the vent and at what angle you cut off the end. I have been finding differing opinions on this but since yours seems to have worked I would like a photo of the routing and the angle.

Thanks

......is that an IO-550? Side exhaust exit?

Very jealous,:)

:D

I wondered if anyone would catch that exh system idea (I can't wait to hear it) -- yes, you are correct on both counts. I'm gonna try side cooling air exits too -- I have no idea if it's gonna work or not! The plane does say experimental on it somewhere, so I'm gonna experiment.

Carry on!
Mark

I wondered if anyone would catch that exh system idea (I can't wait to hear it)
Carry on!
Mark

I love your plane! Very very nice!! I love the side exhaust, I dont think I've ever seen that on an RV before. If you can post some audio after its running I'd love to hear it. Its just an idea but with the 550 intake where it is and your paint scheme, I am visualizing a 'carb' scoop like the early P-51s or P-40s.

Gentlemen:

I am happy to post this bit of progress :D

image.php

Carry on!
Mark

Ahhh, Mark, you're making us drool.

Any update on kit availability for the F1 and F1 EVO? We know that you are transferring kit production to the USA and are retooling the EVO. We just want to know when you can take orders.

Thanks, Vern

I really like the paint job too, Mark! Great looking airplane. The exhaust was was visible in one of the two pictures on the teamrocketaircraft website too. Should be a screamer.

Lee...

P-51's beware!

Very Nice Mark! Will we see it at OSH?

Smokey
HR2

PS: Tom, my HR2 had a 3/4"fitting welded on the left exhaust pipe with the breather attached to it. I had the same oil consumption you mentioned. I replaced with a Vetterman system and a new breather line that exits out the bottom of the cowling. Problem solved...

Last edited:
Is that the old EVO wing, or the new one?...

That airframe has been sitting idle for ~18 months, waiting for an engine. See Doc Throckmortons' website for an opinion on the engine builder. I was dealing with the same fella, and received similar treatment.:mad:

So, since it is that old, this airframe has the metal Evo wings.

Carry on!
Mark

Fun with N14ZM

N14ZM and I took our first and most important passenger for a ride this morning. Everything thing went great. When we landed I asked Zack what he thought about the flight. His reply was "THAT, was SICK!" I think he likes it

See you guys at Oshkosh!!!

Danny

That airframe has been sitting idle for ~18 months, waiting for an engine. See Doc Throckmortons' website for an opinion on the engine builder. I was dealing with the same fella, and received similar treatment.:mad:

So, since it is that old, this airframe has the metal Evo wings.

Carry on!
Mark

Hi Mark,
whats the status on the new US kits? Are the composite wings still on the drawing board?
Thanks

Rick's Rocket is Ready

FAA inspection was this past Thursday. Thanks to Mark Frederick from Team Rocket for providing the parts to build one really COOL airplane!

Everything is for sale :).

Last edited:
GREAT looking Rocket, Rick! Please let us know how your flight testing goes. I see you have a LOT of experience with building...it certainly shows. I'm putting in the time, but the actual building/completing is going slow!

Regards,

Lee...

Hi Lee,
Thanks for the kind words.

I put the same engine in my Rocket as I put in my RV10 (Mattituck IO-540). The RV10 had the 2 bladed Hartzell and the Rocket has a 3 blade Whirlwind 400 Rocket prop. Ground tests only.....my gut tells me that the 400 Rocket prop has a LOT more thrust. The 400 Rocket prop sure has the Hartzell beat on looks....if I do say so myself :).

I'll keep you posted.

GREAT looking Rocket, Rick! Please let us know how your flight testing goes. I see you have a LOT of experience with building...it certainly shows. I'm putting in the time, but the actual building/completing is going slow!

Regards,

Lee...

Last edited:
Couple of pics

Took a couple more pics today so I thought I'd share...I know (some) folks just love Rocket pics :D.

Everything is for sale :).

Last edited:
Harmon Rocket II rolled out of paint shop

Last year at this time I was headed to Taylor, TX. for the Rocket 100 race. Wish I could be there.

Mark Manda's painted Rocket

Mark,
That sure is a beautiful paint job on your Rocket! Now that you've got it painted, I think you need to get Lane Wallace to come back for another picture.... :D

WOW!!
Nice paint.
I finally took a picture of my new toy at work.
Ya, Ya, I know I didn't build it, but I've been doing alot of improving and changing things....new interior, tail wheel link, stick grip, graphics, etc......
Jeff

Mark and Jeff.....both are drop dead GORGEOUS Rockets....you should BOTH be proud!

They look like they're going 200kts just sitting there :D!!

Good Luck and fly SAFE!!

Smokey,
I do 720 knautical mile legs to work, cruising 210 knots true @ 12.2gph. Can just make it with vfr reserves if winds cooperate. I like to stop at Greeley, Colorado anyway just because the gas is cheap and it's a haven for cool aircraft and a cafe in the terminal.
I cruise 180 knots true @ 10gph and 150 knots true @ 8.5gph. Still experimenting with ROP and LOP settings.
Black lever forward netted 260 knots true one day going to breakfast with the boys.
Jeff

Jeff
She is a real beauty. Have you ever entered her in a SARL race? It would be neat to see how she does. She sure looks fast.
Wayne Hadath
F1 Rocket
Parts kit +325 hrs
2008 Rocket 100 Winner (426 mph)

SARL?
Not yet, but willing to learn.
Still getting used to it, have put about 18 hours on it so far and still tweaking the personal touches.
Jeff

Jeff
SARL was started by Mike Thompson who is a tireless and dedicated self proclaimed race nut. SARL runs and promotes recreational air racing. The last race of the year was the Rocket 100 which was held on November 22, 2008. At the last race the yearly awards ceremony is held where overall points and yearly points per class are awarded. I think you would run in the Sport Fx class but I do not know enough about your bird to be 100% sure. The web site is http://www.sportairrace.org/index.html. If you are interested come on out and try it. You never know who might show up. At the last race we had the Pollen Special come out and show us her stuff. There is a lot of diversity in the participants. Right from the people who will make your brain hurt from the depth of their understanding to the ones who are brand new. Great fun and sport.
Wayne

There ya go guys.....

.........I cruise 180 knots true @ 10gph ........
Black lever forward netted 260 knots true one day going to breakfast with the boys.
Jeff

.....nearly the same fuel burn as my-6 at so much higher speed! The Rockets and 540-s are very efficient.

Too cool,

Yeah baby!

Is that a great looking machine or WHAT! Congrats on the purchase!:D

Carry on!
Mark

Haulin' the Mail in a Rocket!

This was a trip from KDEN-KMAF two weeks ago....

And I was guzzling 8.5 gph....

I love my Rocket!!!!

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal
F1 EVO

Time.......Lat.....Long.....GS..Alt
10:39AM 37.03 -103.30 241 16900 Albuquerque Center
10:40AM 36.98 -103.28 241 16900 Albuquerque Center
10:41AM 36.90 -103.27 247 16900 Albuquerque Center
10:42AM 36.83 -103.25 247 16900 Albuquerque Center
10:43AM 36.76 -103.23 253 16900 Albuquerque Center
10:44AM 36.70 -103.22 253 16900 Albuquerque Center
10:45AM 36.62 -103.20 268 16900 Albuquerque Center
10:46AM 36.55 -103.19 268 16900 Albuquerque Center
10:47AM 36.48 -103.17 262 16900 Albuquerque Center
10:48AM 36.41 -103.15 254 16900 Albuquerque Center
10:49AM 36.34 -103.14 254 16900 Albuquerque Center
10:50AM 36.28 -103.13 254 16900 Albuquerque Center
10:51AM 36.21 -103.11 254 16900 Albuquerque Center
10:52AM 36.14 -103.09 254 17000 Albuquerque Center
10:53AM 36.08 -103.08 254 16900 Albuquerque Center
10:54AM 36.01 -103.06 254 16900 Albuquerque Center
10:55AM 35.94 -103.05 254 16900 Albuquerque Center
10:56AM 35.87 -103.03 254 16900 Albuquerque Center
10:57AM 35.80 -103.02 254 17000 Albuquerque Center
10:58AM 35.73 -103.00 254 17000 Albuquerque Center
10:59AM 35.66 -102.99 259 17000 Albuquerque Center
11:00AM 35.59 -102.97 252 17000 Albuquerque Center
11:01AM 35.52 -102.96 242 17000 Albuquerque Center
11:02AM 35.46 -102.94 242 17000 Albuquerque Center
11:03AM 35.39 -102.93 247 16900 Albuquerque Center
11:04AM 35.32 -102.91 253 16900 Albuquerque Center
11:05AM 35.26 -102.90 253 16900 Albuquerque Center
11:06AM 35.19 -102.89 253 17000 Albuquerque Center
11:07AM 35.12 -102.87 258 17000 Albuquerque Center
11:08AM 35.05 -102.86 258 17000 Albuquerque Center
11:09AM 34.98 -102.84 263 17000 Albuquerque Center

Nice Doug.
Makes me want to get an O2 bottle mounted up.
If you get back up Hutchinson way look me up, I'm hangaring next to Joe D.
Jeff

Jeff,

O2 is the way to go with a Rocket! I can true 198 kts at 18K burning under 9 gallons. That's over 25 sm/gallon.

Get a big bottle, mine is portable, so when your the fill bottle at home gets low you still can get lots of time out of it! Mine portable is huge and even at 800# I can make a long trip. When it gets below 800 I take it to work and burn it up on the torch.

On short trips I fly at 7500-10500K at 2300rpms usually 8500 gives me 23" at wide open throttle, depending on the baro pressure. If it is a long trip, I try to go high.

It almost always pays off to climb to at least 7500 even into an increasing headwind. I gain 3 kts TAS per 1000 feet up to the 23" WOT altitude and the winds almost never increase that much with altitude.

If I'm going to spend more than a couple hours above 8K I try to use O2, spend 4 or 5 hours at 10K without it and I will have be exhausted and feel like I have a hangover when I land. And at night the difference in night vision is incredible.

Take care of Joe up there, I talked to him a week ago. I need to fly up and have lunch with him. I would love to see your airplane when I do!

Tailwinds,
DougR

WOW!!
Nice paint.
I finally took a picture of my new toy at work.
Ya, Ya, I know I didn't build it, but I've been doing alot of improving and changing things....new interior, tail wheel link, stick grip, graphics, etc......
Jeff

Jeff,

Really gorgeous. Looks like you did a great job on the upgrades.

How about some more photos and info ie speed fuel consumption ROC etc.

Milt,
I'll get more pictures and post them.
Doug,
If you get up here have Joe call me, If I'm not around he knows where the key is to the hangar.
Jeff

Milt,
Pic as promised.
Just finished all the graphics I wanted to add and installed a tailwheel fairing. Will get a picture of new interior with stick grip.
Doug,
Ordered an O2 bottle and will install when it arrives.
Wayne,
I registered with SARL, awaiting a reply and I also noticed you took 1st place for the season. You realize I can't let that stand and I'm gonna have to take you down.
Jeff

dsc00059pf8.jpg

Last edited:
Jeff
I will happly lose to any one who can beat me. Be aware there are a few other fire breathing dragons out there who would love to get a chance to compete with you and your beauty. It is fullfilling to get an understanding of what works and what does not in making these incredible machines do their thing. Racing them seems to be the best way to gather this understanding. Recreation racing makes it affordable. I look forward to meeting you and racing with you and getting a closer look at your machine. Until then.
Wayne
After taking on all comers in the SARL sanctioned "2008 Rocket 100" in Taylor Texas and being victorious, Little Bit and I hereby claim the title of the "Fastest Rocket in the Known Universe"

Previous Holders of this esteem title:
2007 Tom Martin EVO F1 Rocket (Sarl Racer 109)
2006 Greg Nelson F1 Rocket (Sarl Racer 22)

Milt,
Pic as promised.
Just finished all the graphics I wanted to add and installed a tailwheel fairing. Will get a picture of new interior with stick grip.
Doug,
Ordered an O2 bottle and will install when it arrives.
Wayne,
I registered with SARL, awaiting a reply and I also noticed you took 1st place for the season. You realize I can't let that stand and I'm gonna have to take you down.
Jeff

dsc00059pf8.jpg

I just gotta build me one of them, it is just the most awesome looking machine I have ever seen.:D

Am I going to have to pull the antennas off and tape up and clean up Ole '84 and come down there and show you guys how to go fast...... Geez..... I would have to take a weekend off from airshowing to do that......

I dunno..... let me think..... i will get back to you on that..... BTW when is that race....... I might be busy.......
:)

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal
F1 EVO

BTW that HRIII is so dripping hot!!!!! It makes Playboy look like a comic book!

Last edited:
Oldie but goodie...

Jeff,

Very nice! Once you fly single seat, you'll never go back! Amazingly, my old HR2 (fourth to fly) with larger tires and spats, smokes along at 180 Knots True at 10.5 GPH with GAMI injectors at LOP. If I burn the extra dinosaurs she will do 200 True at 12.5. I do have a set of Safe-Air-1 ER tanks and it really helps.
That extra 10 gallons is nice to have on a cold night over bad guy land...:)

Smokey

Or swamp as the case may be...

Pretty good pics

Pretty good inflight shot, N5800... Mt. Baker and San Juan Islands as backdrop. John Meyers Sequim, WA

2d9e6ba.jpg

Steam gauge heaven !

i6xobk.jpg

Wow, two really nice lookin' Rockets Jim and John! Very Nice!

Jim, so what prop is that you're sporting there (the 4 blade MT from your website?), and what engine might you be running? Congrats on the first flight, and it may be early, but very interested in the performance you see. Looks really cool, that's for sure!

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Wow, two really nice lookin' Rockets Jim and John! Very Nice!

Jim, so what prop is that you're sporting there (the 4 blade MT from your website?), and what engine might you be running? Congrats on the first flight, and it may be early, but very interested in the performance you see. Looks really cool, that's for sure!

Cheers,
Bob

The 4 blade propeller is designed for high altitude (mid-teens) cruise. It is the propeller listed on my website.
I have a IO-540-D4B5 engine with 10:1 compression and a cold flow sump. The engine almost fit in the stock HR2 cowl. Just a slight modification under the AFP-300 throttle body.
No numbers yet. It's a new overhaul engine with no time in a dyno. 0.7 hours to date in two flights. So far I'm still working the bugs out of the sensors for my engine monitor.

Jim Ayers

The 4 blade propeller is designed for high altitude (mid-teens) cruise. It is the propeller listed on my website.
I have a IO-540-D4B5 engine with 10:1 compression and a cold flow sump. The engine almost fit in the stock HR2 cowl. Just a slight modification under the AFP-300 throttle body.
No numbers yet. It's a new overhaul engine with no time in a dyno. 0.7 hours to date in two flights. So far I'm still working the bugs out of the sensors for my engine monitor.

Jim Ayers

Thanks Jim, very nice...and Happy Flyin'!

Cheers,
Bob

Four is More!

Hi Jim,

Very nice looking machine! I see the vertical stab kinship with your RV3!

Well done!

Smokey
HR2

PS: I have prop envy!

Back