What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remote field tire change

Xmxer13

I'm New Here
I saw info a while back about a kit that mounted a bracket to the brake caliper mount and then all you had to carry was a threaded rod in order to lift the plane to remove the wheel. Now for the life of me I cant find who made that. Anyone?
I dont want to have to carry a jack.

I saw info a while back about a kit that mounted a bracket to the brake caliper mount and then all you had to carry was a threaded rod in order to lift the plane to remove the wheel. Now for the life of me I cant find who made that. Anyone?

Scott and Tanya Card
https://elift.cardmachineworks.com/product/e-lift/
i-TXTxnBC-S.jpg

Here's the thread.
https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=184578

Last edited:
Another one, which I have but haven’t installed yet, is this one. Similar concept although suitable for hangar maintenance, I’m told, depending on the jack you use. Very well made. It’s made by Winter Motorsports and I bought it from FlyBoy Accessories.

http://www.wintermotorsports.com/jackpoints-round-gear

Attachments

• 89CE2302-6823-4EF6-8E54-A1B0E9B9A7D5.jpeg
    89CE2302-6823-4EF6-8E54-A1B0E9B9A7D5.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

Thanks for the order.
Only a few more CMW E-Lift on the shelf before we start a backorder run.

Cmw e-lift

Scott,

I assume the “e” is for emergency? Is it feasible to use at condition for wheel service on a regular basis?

Thanks

Scott,

I assume the “e” is for emergency? Is it feasible to use at condition for wheel service on a regular basis?

Thanks

From the website:

“The CMW E-Lift is intended only for emergency use and not daily hangar maintenance.”

I like the options that have appeared here - thanks all!

I too dislike the idea of another 5-7 lb peice of equipment that is always in the airplane.

I have a bit of experience changing an RV-4 tire in the backcountry (twice). One of these times is at the 5:40 point in this video. In my cases, I lifted the plane by getting myself under the wing and lifting (legs and back). Far from ideal but it worked. I generally carry my back and both legs when flying so no additional 'equipment weight'. In both cases the ground was somewhat rough/uneven with relatively tall grass. I was lucky enough to have another person that could place a peice of wood under the gear leg to hold it in the air when I lifted. I have an idea for accomplishing this solo but it is untested. The little scissor jack shown in the video was unusable because of a combination of the ground conditions and being unable to get it under the gear leg with the flat tire which had kind of settled into a low spot so the gear leg was very close to the ground. No real point to this, just sharing.

Back